Notices

CRX K Swap walkthrough

Old 01-03-2007, 06:13 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Location: Land of the free, whoever told you that is your enemy
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default CRX K Swap walkthrough

Click Me!

Thanks to downest, now I have this in forum format.

Starting things off I'm going to do a brief overview. A K series engine swap is no harder than any other. There are a few more things to address, but it really isn't that hard. This swap will require welding of the passenger side mount, and modification of the rear crossmember. The new shift linkage will also be obviously engine mounts will have to be changed. The only manufacture making mounts for this swap is HASport.

First off pull the engine, and remove all the wiring from the bay, and pull it into the cabin. A K swap is the perfect reason to do a wire tuck since none of the engine wiring is reused. For the wiring, you have 3 choices, custom, HASport, or Rywire. I chose Rywire for he custom builds them for his customers, and it is plug and play. He made mine for me to turn on my fan with the Hondata, and made it to work with the wire tuck. Newer Hondas have immobilizers, and Hondata K-Pro does away with that, plus it is programmable. The other option is a non programmable JDM ECU.

Now that the engine bay is empty it is time to remove the passener side mount from the engine bay. This can be achieved by using a spot weld cutter or other methods. Next you bolt the mount tower to the frame rail with the 12mm battery tray bolts. Figure out where you need to grind, mark it, remove the tower. Grind it, reinstall the tower, and weld in the tower. HASport says just to weld in the holes, but I seam welded the whole tower in. That is what everyone I know has done as well.

Welded in the mount should look like this. Note also there are other areas I welded holes shut for a smooth shaved bay. It is a lot of extra work, and not worth it in my opinion, but I went the extra mile.

Next we shift our focus the the rear crossmember, the area in the squares needs to be dented. The blue area needs dented a lot like 1-1.5" I also cut the upper lip, and seam welded it shut. I did the same to the other side too for the header clearence, but it really wasn't necesary with my SSR header I used. Speaking of headers, the SSR, and the DC (HASport) header are the only units I know of to work on the CRX chassis, although SMSP is working on one that might work. SSR offers a 4-1, and a 4-2-1. I have the 4-2-1, it is what most use for more midrange power.

At this juncture your engine bay should look like this. I bolted in the rear mount, the pass side tower is welded in, and everything is prepped, and ready to paint, well mabey not in this pic. At this point I would reccomend installing the engine for a test fit, and then working out any clearence issues. Thats what I did, and I had to dent my crossmember more. Plus it gave me a chance to work on my EP3 Shifter assembly, to make sure it would work well. You will also notice the Z10 traction bar setup. A stock crossmember will not work with a K swap. Z10, Full-Race, and Explicit Speed crossmembers are known to work. Jim fab bars, that are no longer made, don't work. I also had to cut my headlight bucket to clear the alternator for the 3 pulley setup.

Speaking of shift linkage that is something that is to be addressed as well. Lots of people use the DC5 Integra unit, and they make kits to mount them to the floor, or some modify the floor, and weld it to accept the shifter. I on the other hand, had preference for the dash mounted shifter in the EP3(02-05 Civic Si). So I purchased a Buddy Club short shifer assembly, and EP3 shift cables. You cannot use DC5 cables, with the EP3 or vice versa. Most people will not go this route, and will use the DC5 stuff. I will add that info later but for now this is how I did mine. I fabricated mounts, and welded them to the radio mounting area. Oh yeah my car has no heat. I'm pretty sure if you were to retain heat this would be very dificult if not impossible. I actually ran my shift cables through the heater core holes .

You might have noticed all of my brake lines were removed. I relocated my brakelines under the dash, and mounted the prop valve there aswell. You don't have to do this but I did for a cleaner install. I did this after I painted my bay, and before I reinstalled the engine for the final time. The other option is to bend the lines, and have it hang back. Once again I didn't do that but I will add info on how to do it on another date. So now we install the engine, and start hooking stuff up, thats where we are at now. The Rywire harness is simple. You run the engine harness into the cabin, and plug it in. You have to run the o2 sensor, and the fan switch wires out, and connect them. Next you will have to adress the fuel lines, radiator, intake, install your header and axles.

The fuel system is simple, but a little costly. I ran a fitting On the OEM fuel feed, and adapted it to 6AN, then I ran AN lines to an Areomotive filter, and then to the regulator. From the regulator you run to the rail, and plug the other end. The return line, then comes from the bottom of the regulator. I used Aeromotive for this aswell, but AEM is another good choice. Whatever you do don't buy a cheap filter I got one from Jegs and it was a peice of crap and clogged almost immediately. Now for the rad in my above pic you will notice the ugly peice I used. I since then converted to a 91 VW GTI non-AC it fits like a champ. I also had to use a inline fillneck to fill for the rad is made for a remote fill. The rad will have to be custom mounted. I got all the fuel stuff from Jegs.

Here is the GTi Rad, and the custom hoses, and fill neck. The GTi rad is mounted upside down, and the sensor hole will need plugged for it is not needed. Also Note the custom Air Intake. I built it from a 3" U bend cut, and welded, and a 3" K&N filter tops it off. Most people just make them sit in the engine bay sucking in all the hot air. I wanted to do away with that so I made it go where the washer tank was. I have since scrapped this, and I'm building a custom airbox, with a ram air velocity stack feeding it. Also note the catch can installed running to the PCV valve, and the custom oil cap to clear the hood courtesy, of John Ward. All the little parts were from Jegs, once again.

Next install the axles, DSS are what I used,, fill up the fluids, and connect the brake booster vaccumm line. Double check all of your work. Go have some fun. This motor is tall and will hit an OEM hood. I have a JDM hood with trimmed webbing and it fits just fine. Fiber Images offers hoods for the USDM, and JDM frontends, and they clear aswell. This is only true with a k20, k24s will require, a custom hood. Some other items you should install would be some upgraded brakes, and a car alarm. Oh and as far as I know the only strut bar that clears the K series is a Cusco Type-ST. For your speedometer to work you will either need to use a electronic VSS cluster or, a speed sensor from a cable speedo tranny. Your exhaust will have to be modified to fit the K header. It is in a totally new location. I hope you enjoy this, and found it insightfull.

Ok now it is time for a little preaching. I obviously went the most expencive route on the engine. The K20A is about $1200 more than the A2 from most importers. For the extra $1200 you get a LSD, lower FD, 4.7, over a 4.3, a half a compression point, and some bigger cams. Worth the extra money in my book. Also it should be told I did not spend $10,035 on my swap. I should have, but I didn't I got the first three items, and the axles, and pulley for $6500 picked up used off of a friend on K20A.org. There are deals to be had if you look around. Just don't go cheap where it matters. I also got a deal on the Hasport mounts too from a H-T member. The Hasport header is cheaper, but makes less power, my fuel system is expensive, but bullet proof. My axles, could be better, and soon I will upgrade to stage 3's.

Price List
K20A Complete Swap $5500
DTR SSR Header $1175
Hondata K Pro $1000
HASport motor mounts $750
Rywire Harness $350
Drive Shaft Shop Axles Stg 1 $300
Buddy Club Shifter EP3 $150
Aeromotive Fuel Regulator $150
Fuel Lines, and fittings $150
STR Pulley Kit $150
91 GTi Non A/C Radiator $130
Aeromotive Fuel Filter $80
Radiator Fill neck, and Hoses $75
<u>Air Intake filter and 3" tube $75 </u>
Total $10,035

Modified by CRXBart at 11:43 AM 4/11/2007
Old 01-03-2007, 06:21 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

link doesnt work

edit: fixed
http://www.crxbart.com/K20swap.html
Old 01-03-2007, 06:30 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (higgunscrx)

Fixed
Old 01-03-2007, 06:37 PM
Honda-Tech Member

lol looks whos back!
Old 01-03-2007, 06:38 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re:

Ha pretty awesome, too bad I dont have 10k to spend on my whip just yet!
Old 01-03-2007, 06:39 PM
Honda-Tech Member

not if u can find a junk type s in the yard.
Old 01-03-2007, 06:41 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (zccr-xsi)

I wish
Old 01-03-2007, 06:51 PM

Default Re: (CRXBart)

Very good info on this site
Old 01-03-2007, 06:58 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (almost boosted DOHC ZC)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by almost boosted DOHC ZC &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">Very good info on this site </TD></TR></TABLE>

bart always has good info,cause he knows what hes doing.
Old 01-03-2007, 07:14 PM
Honda-Tech Member

yo man i want to see some pics of my old sparco seat your crx lol nice write too man
Old 01-03-2007, 09:02 PM

Man this makes me want to do a K-swap in my crx. Nice write-up!

On another note,*(no intent to offend anyone)* just wondering why someone would want to do this swap for $10k instead of a doing a b-series turbo or something for alot less money and more power?? Maybe I am missing the point. Please inform me.
Old 01-03-2007, 09:11 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Shifters kinda weird no center console i guess it works well if it a road race car.

Modified by nihad at 10:45 PM 7/15/2008
Old 01-03-2007, 09:36 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (zccr-xsi)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by zccr-xsi &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">lol looks whos back!</TD></TR></TABLE>

I'm not back I just posted this for I spent some time making it, and I figured there would be some people interested in the info and maybe it can defuse some worthless threads before they are made.

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by HondaCivicSiR1 &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">yo man i want to see some pics of my old sparco seat your crx lol nice write too man </TD></TR></TABLE>

Sorry man no pics of the seat. All my pics of the car have the hood up for some odd reason???

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by KansasKev &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">Man this makes me want to do a K-swap in my crx. Nice write-up!

On another note,*(no intent to offend anyone)* just wondering why someone would want to do this swap for $10k instead of a doing a b-series turbo or something for alot less money and more power?? Maybe I am missing the point. Please inform me. </TD></TR></TABLE>

I too made this same statement. For one it is NA so it is reliable, and not to mention stock. I am not into turbo cars, and this gives me a great starting point for more NA power. Whereas with a B your are on the border line of being streetable at 240hp, with a K you simply have a pair of cams.

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by nihad &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">da shifter in da dash is kinda gay and thats no place for a shifter what about the integras they have nornal shifter like the rest of the ******* cars.</TD></TR></TABLE>

Thanks "Mr. Automotive Authority of the Universe". Sorry my shifter is not to your standards. If you read the writeup you would see where I said there are other options. I did it purely on preference. Instead you make an *** clown post like the preceding. I mean is that even English? You people are what makes H-T great. Thanks for brightening my day, by reminding me how ignorant some people are. It makes me feel more intelligent. I'm sorry I forgot you have a B16 I should bow down before you and kiss your toes for you are the almighty and powerful h-t 06 member douche bag extraordinary skilled, so skilled English isn't advanced enough for you. .
Old 01-03-2007, 09:40 PM
Honda-Tech Member

So is your visit here a short lived one? Nice thread, BTW.
Old 01-03-2007, 09:41 PM

Default Re: (CRXBart)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by CRXBart &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">
I too made this same statement. For one it is NA so it is reliable, and not to mention stock. I am not into turbo cars, and this gives me a great starting point for more NA power. Whereas with a B your are on the border line of being streetable at 240hp, with a K you simply have a pair of cams.
</TD></TR></TABLE>

Thanks for not chewing my *** out. LOL.
The only thing I know about K motors is that I have one in my rsx. I never thought about modding it.
Anyways I am sure with this write-up, K-swaps will probably be the thing for the future.
Old 01-03-2007, 09:43 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (KansasKev)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by KansasKev &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">
Anyways I am sure with this write-up, K-swaps will probably be the thing for the future. </TD></TR></TABLE>

K-swaps aren't the future, they are now.
Old 01-03-2007, 09:50 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (Tippyman)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by Tippyman &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">So is your visit here a short lived one? Nice thread, BTW.</TD></TR></TABLE>

Ah pretty much H-T is just so lame anymore. I like my new home better. I just new that this info would be able to be more utilized here. You know have a broader range of people seeing it.

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by KansasKev &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">

Thanks for not chewing my *** out. LOL.
The only thing I know about K motors is that I have one in my rsx. I never thought about modding it.
Anyways I am sure with this write-up, K-swaps will probably be the thing for the future. </TD></TR></TABLE>

As I said man, I thought the same thing once. Ryan from Rywire had to set me straight on it, soon after i bought a K. He must be convincing. LOL I don't chew out those who seem willing to learn.

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by Tippyman &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">

K-swaps aren't the future, they are now.</TD></TR></TABLE>

This is true.
Old 01-03-2007, 10:13 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (KansasKev)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by KansasKev &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">Man this makes me want to do a K-swap in my crx. Nice write-up!

On another note,*(no intent to offend anyone)* just wondering why someone would want to do this swap for $10k instead of a doing a b-series turbo or something for alot less money and more power?? Maybe I am missing the point. Please inform me. </TD></TR></TABLE>

i was about to say the same thing.. i would rather do a turbo b series

*edit*

finally read everything and understand you want to stay N/A. nice set up though.. i have never really understood k series engines they seem too modern and high tech.. i'm old school i guess..

anyway keep up the good work
Old 01-03-2007, 10:35 PM
I'm a Jackass

Default Re: (wrXtian)

dam and i thought might swap was tight but dam your **** is off the hook man....tight ****
Old 01-03-2007, 11:29 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Re: (dajah_vue)

nice job
Old 01-04-2007, 10:00 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (nihad)

the k's are much better engines then the b's. yes slightly more costly. but you're looking at around $5000 for a B18C5. K just requires a few more costly pieces (engine management)
how many stock b's can dyno 230hp ? now the K's aren't exactly stock with the K pro, but still. 230 hp with 2 liters with stock internals. and the TORQUE is really where it's at in a K.

actually that shifter location is in a great spot. it's right near the steering wheel so you have a minimal amount that you have to move your hand to change gears
and it's a bit hard to mount a shifter anywhere but on the floor when you are using steel shift linkages like alot of hondas have. the K uses a cable linkage tranny in case ya ain't HURD!!

when you are driving at the track you are supposed to keep 2 hands on the wheel at all times and only momentarily remove it to make a gear selection. actually in anytype of driving you should never use the shift **** as a handrest

Your gangsta *** probably cruises with your seat reclined so far the back touches the rear seats so don't worry about where his shifter is. just keep stylin and being ignorant. Work on your thug walk, and not on your car!!!

for me i couldn't get away with the shifter in that location. i'm 6'4. and with where my race seat in my EF is mounted in order to get my legs angled the way i want them, i have to have a very long extension off the steering column, so i can't even reach the dash if i wanted to
i have a HEEL TOE roadrace shifter (very tall), and i plan on moving the shifter location back closely inline with the steering wheel location. just will have to lengthen my shift linkage (turbo d16z6) and cut in a new shift location into the floor to properly mount it

great work!!

Modified by hybridmoments at 12:06 PM 1/4/2007
Old 01-04-2007, 10:32 AM
Stouts 'n' Scotch

Default Re: (hybridmoments)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by hybridmoments &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">
Your gangsta *** probably cruises with your seat back touching the rear seats so don't worry about where his shifter is. just keep stylin and being ignorant. Work on your thug walk, and not on your car!!!
</TD></TR></TABLE>

I bet he drives an automatic to boot

Good site Bart
Old 01-04-2007, 10:51 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (hybridmoments)

It probably works well for a race car but i personally don't like that. I think it might look
nice in a fit or the newer civic si..

Modified by nihad at 10:43 PM 7/15/2008
Old 01-04-2007, 11:10 AM

Default Re: (nihad)

awesome info
Old 01-04-2007, 12:12 PM

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: CRX K Swap walkthrough