Wheel and Tire

capital negotiator tires?? any good??

Search this Thread

Old 12-08-2006, 02:52 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default capital negotiator tires?? any good??

well i got a quote for some 205/40/17 "capital negotiator" tires at some tire shop...they said it was 80 each and also includes mounting and alignment...sounded pretty cheap and of course the brand tire seemed fishy since i havent heard of them before and have no searches on here bout them...anyone have any experience with these tires?? thanks
Old 12-09-2006, 07:44 PM
Honda-Tech Member

i can guarantee they are crap (i have never heard of them).
Old 12-12-2006, 07:55 AM
H-T Order of Merit

Default Re: capital negotiator tires?? any good?? (cilvia)

Many tire shops will try to talk you into crappy tires because that's what they have in stock and because that's what they make the most money on. Don't fall for it. Get the tires YOU want. Either find a different tire shop that will sell you the tire you want (they may have to order it), or else order the tires from a mail-order tire dealer like the Tire Rack or Discount Tire Direct. If you have tires shipped to you, you can get them mounted at any local tire dealer or mechanic. (Wal-Mart has very low tire mounting/balancing prices on tires brought in, and the ones in my area do a good job.)
Old 12-17-2006, 04:42 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

these tires are pretty good for being cheap.... i have them on my SE-R are doing pretty well... 205/40/17 grip pretty well, and best on hot sun.....if u want to smoke them youll make a big cloud with these..and good treadwear.. id say they are good overall economic tires...
Old 12-17-2006, 06:52 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Capitol Tires are absolute garbage and any shop trying to push them on you should be avoided. Go to your local America's/Discount Tire, have them match the TireRack's price and get a $40 rebate ending up at about $50/tire installed.

Jon
Old 12-18-2006, 08:59 AM
H-T Order of Merit

Default Re: (HondaF1Fanatic)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by HondaF1Fanatic &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">Capitol Tires are absolute garbage and any shop trying to push them on you should be avoided. Go to your local America's/Discount Tire, have them match the TireRack's price and get a $40 rebate ending up at about $50/tire installed.</TD></TR></TABLE>

Jon is referring to the Kumho Ecsta SPT. The SPT is an awesome tire for the money - very good dry traction, outstanding in rain, last a long time, and they're unbelievably inexpensive. The 205/40-17 is $60/tire at the Tire Rack. You can find the $40 rebate offer here, on Kumho's website. It's only good through the end of this month.
Old 12-19-2006, 11:29 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (nsxtasy)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by nsxtasy &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">

Jon is referring to the Kumho Ecsta SPT. The SPT is an awesome tire for the money - very good dry traction, outstanding in rain, last a long time, and they're unbelievably inexpensive. The 205/40-17 is $60/tire at the Tire Rack. You can find the $40 rebate offer here, on Kumho's website. It's only good through the end of this month.
</TD></TR></TABLE>

Haha, thanks for the catch on that, I am a bit harebrained sometimes.

Jon
Old 03-04-2007, 12:45 PM

Default Re: capital negotiator tires?? any good?? (cilvia)

Capital tires are made by Falken tire. They are just as good as any other tire in that price range. Ive owned 7 Hondas/Acuras over the past 6 years and Ive tried a lot of different tires. If you drive hard then cheap tires are the way to go. I actually liked some of the cheaper tires better than the expensive ones. I hate the Parada Specs that people say are so great for tuners. Michelin Sports are loud and overpriced. Theres nothing wrong with buying the Capital brand. The tread design is just like the Falken and youll get about 20K out of them. Ive had the best luck with BFGoodrich, but I just bought a set of Toyo Proxes. They seem to be OK...IMO, all Z-rated tires are about the same unless youre a full-time road racer. (Most of us are daily drivers, not road racers) Im willing to bet ANY amount of money that I can follow anybody thru the curves in my GSR, and its got freakin Nankangs on it. Its all about how much youve got in your wallet. If youre going to show your car then buy Mich.,Yokos,Toyos,BFG,Pirellis,etc...For everyday driving abuse buy the cheapest you can find with a high treadwear rating and keep em rotated.
Old 03-04-2007, 03:36 PM
H-T Order of Merit

Default Re: capital negotiator tires?? any good?? (ChillWhiteEP3)

Originally Posted by ChillWhiteEP3
If you drive hard then cheap tires are the way to go.
Not necessarily. It depends on whether you're willing to pay more money for better performance. Or, to pay the same money for better performance in a tire that doesn't last as long, which ends up being more money.

I actually liked some of the cheaper tires better than the expensive ones.
I judge tires by their performance. There are some expensive tires that don't perform as well as some cheaper tires. But if you're always comparing the best tires for the money in different price ranges, you can often get better tires by spending more money.

I hate the Parada Specs that people say are so great for tuners.
I agree. I don't know who says that, though.

Michelin Sports are loud and overpriced.
I don't worry much about noise, but I agree that they are overpriced, since you can get similar performance for less money.

Theres nothing wrong with buying the Capital brand.
I disagree. Show me a Capital tire that performs as well as the Kumho SPT, which is a very inexpensive and very good tire.

The tread design is just like the Falken and youll get about 20K out of them.
Falken makes a lot of different tires with a lot of different tread patterns.

Ive had the best luck with BFGoodrich, but I just bought a set of Toyo Proxes.
BFGoodrich makes a lot of different tires, too. And Toyo makes a lot of different tires with the Proxes name on them - everything from the Toyo Proxes RA-1 track tire, to the Toyo Proxes T1-R summer tire, to the Toyo Proxes 4 all-season tire, to the Toyo Proxes S/T tire for pickup trucks and SUVs.

IMO, all Z-rated tires are about the same unless youre a full-time road racer. (Most of us are daily drivers, not road racers)
Nonsense. Tires differ in many, many different characteristics, even in street use. Try driving in pouring rain on the Falken Azenis RT-615. Or try keeping up with the same tire on dry pavement with the Dunlop SP9000.

Im willing to bet ANY amount of money that I can follow anybody thru the curves in my GSR, and its got freakin Nankangs on it.
I'll take that bet. I'll give you a list of track events I'll be driving at this year. (Just HPDE club events; I am not a professional driver, and I don't race in competitive events.) I'll even leave the street tires on my car. I'll bet you $1000. This will prove whether you're serious, or just a poser babbling out of your @$$. If you're serious, take the bet. Otherwise, you should STFU and quit while you're behind.

If youre going to show your car then buy Mich.,Yokos,Toyos,BFG,Pirellis,etc...For everyday driving abuse buy the cheapest you can find with a high treadwear rating and keep em rotated.
That's the worst advice I've seen posted in this forum in a long, long time. It's obvious that you don't know much about tires. But I'll be happy to take your money.
Old 03-05-2007, 08:57 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: capital negotiator tires?? any good?? (ChillWhiteEP3)

great first post
Old 03-05-2007, 09:09 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: capital negotiator tires?? any good?? (FalkenSiR)

p wnage
Old 10-02-2007, 12:36 PM

Default Re: capital negotiator tires?? any good?? (Opossum Jenkins)

I hear capital gets there tires from the same people as Falken. It makes sense. The tires are exactly the same except for the name.
Old 10-02-2007, 01:39 PM
H-T Order of Merit

Default Re: capital negotiator tires?? any good?? (NAmodified)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by NAmodified &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">I hear capital gets there tires from the same people as Falken. It makes sense. The tires are exactly the same except for the name.</TD></TR></TABLE>

Nope. Capital tires are made in China by Beijing Capital Tire Co., Ltd., an independent tire manufacturer that was founded in December 1999. Falken Tire Corporation is a subsidiary of The Sumitomo Rubber Industries Group, which has a global alliance with Goodyear, although they manufacture and market different tires under their various brand names. Perhaps you heard wrong, or the person you heard it from got it wrong, and were thinking of the fact that Falken is the same company as Sumitomo (or Goodyear).
Old 10-03-2007, 08:47 AM

Default Re: capital negotiator tires?? any good?? (nsxtasy)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by nsxtasy &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">

Nope. Capital tires are made in China by Beijing Capital Tire Co., Ltd., an independent tire manufacturer that was founded in December 1999. Falken Tire Corporation is a subsidiary of The Sumitomo Rubber Industries Group, which has a global alliance with Goodyear, although they manufacture and market different tires under their various brand names. Perhaps you heard wrong, or the person you heard it from got it wrong, and were thinking of the fact that Falken is the same company as Sumitomo (or Goodyear).
</TD></TR></TABLE>

Thanks!
Old 10-03-2007, 04:35 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: capital negotiator tires?? any good?? (NAmodified)

I had em on my Is 300 they are good tires and held up when I would go to the canyon's.
Old 10-03-2007, 07:49 PM
H-T Order of Merit

Default Re: capital negotiator tires?? any good?? (ssrkrew)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by ssrkrew &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">I had em on my Is 300 they are good tires and held up when I would go to the canyon's.</TD></TR></TABLE>

They won't necessarily fall apart. But if other tires are better, for about the same money, then you would be foolish to buy them.
Old 01-22-2010, 10:59 AM
New User

Default Re: capital negotiator tires?? any good??

I have NEGOTIATOR tires on my 2002 Toyota Echo. I bought it with 9K miles. Now it has 100K miles on it. It still has the same NEGOTIATOR tires that I bought it with. I am looking to replace them. All this time I thought that I had top quality tires.
Old 01-29-2010, 12:02 PM
New User

I just did some research online about capital tires.
It is a Chinese company and they are OEM for goodyear tires.
I read some comments from a supplier for the capital tires. He said the quality of the tires are very good. But it doesn't have any brand name in US. I will give it a try on my baby Acura.
I am an mechanical engineer. I bought a lot of parts from China for my company. Guess what, all the stuffs I bought for my company have equal or better quality than those made here. And it is 1/4 to 1/2 of the price. I will give capital tires a try after all the investigations I have done.
Old 01-29-2010, 05:20 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Why take the chance? Spend a few bucks more and get name brand tires that actually give decent grip. I dont understand people that insist on buying the cheapest possible tires, which are the most important part of the car.
Old 07-16-2010, 02:55 PM
Trial User

The worst tire I've experienced -- ever. I had to find out where this junk came from after someone put them on my cab. Sure enough it's more garbage from China, and it really is garbage. Some people have all sorts of excuses about comparable quality at a lower price, but the loss of American jobs will eventually make it that the lower price is too high, and there is no way that people far away are going to be accountable to you for the junk they make -- especially when they are using slave labor. We are so hypnotized by low prices we want to convince ourselves that the quality is good enough, but it really isn't. The shoes that I imagined were just as good ... so I bought more, and now I have 6 pairs of Chinese shoes that hurt my feet. So I got what I deserve by not knowing better, but meanwhile the American shoe company went out of business, or is importing slave made products. How can we condone this? Go ahead get Capital Negotiators tires ... die behind the wheel, and that's what you get. If you drive back and forth to work, and to the store, and that's all then you might be lucky enough to survive and not notice the difference -- even convince yourself with an occasional curvy road test. But I drive through a fast paced obstacle course with a high degree of precision, and that 'Negotiator' is a weird tire. I'm amazed at what 'cheap' can do, and I wouldn't want it to do it to me ... I've never worried about what is going on with my tires so much. What trickery, and greed would foist such a thing on us? Don't buy any Chinese junk if you can find a way out of it -- But in regard to this tire specifically: They don't handle well for demanding driving at their best, also; they seem to lose air and all become uneven. Go ahead, one might just blow up on you.
Old 10-11-2010, 12:25 PM
Honda-Tech Member

These tires for the price value is good,...they grip fairly well. I was really, really surprised, because these tires are priced low and the fact they handle well in the dry...but, in regard to our weather in So Cal....no rain as of yet though! Bought these in early 2008. They are still holding up well,....meaning a lowered car with no camber adjustments yet, but my next set will try other brands like Falken*912 or Federal ss535-86v...anyone have their personal comments on any of these? Appreicate any comments in this regard...thank you!
Old 10-14-2010, 02:51 AM
Ek Forever y0!

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

If your goal is just cheap tires I've really enjoyed my falken sinceras. They were about $300 installed at discount tire. They've lasted me almost 2 years now and still perform well.
Old 09-02-2013, 08:53 AM
Trial User

NEGOTIATOR TIRES
ARE UNSAFE

Negotiator HP Touring tires have extremely unsafe braking. In three panic-stop situations I was surprised by how poor the braking performance was compared to any other tires I have used (Goodyear, Dunlop, Yokohama). It felt like they were greased; they just skid and skid.

Stopping distances are much longer than my previous tires. When I learned this I should have just thrown them away. I was lulled by their other characteristics which I liked: they are very quiet and smooth-riding. But my third panic stop resulted in a collision. With any other tire I have used the car would have stopped shorter and avoided a collision. They were almost as bad on dry pavement as my previous tires were on wet pavement. (My previous tires were Yokohama Avid Touring, which were pretty poor on wet pavement!) I deeply regret trying to save a few bucks with these tires.
Old 09-02-2013, 01:51 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by Libertariat
If your goal is just cheap tires I've really enjoyed my falken sinceras. They were about $300 installed at discount tire. They've lasted me almost 2 years now and still perform well.
I just purchased a set of Falken Sincera SN-211 (made in Canada) for the same price last week and so far seem like a very good buy. How are treads looking after 2 years?

I researched a lot before settling on the Falken's and came to a few conclusions:
1. Stay away form Chinese tire manufacturers
2. Don't buy lowest priced, baseline model
3. Length of tread-ware warranty is important, but not the end all.
3. There should be enough reviews on-line for performance, tread-wear, price, and etc.. comparisons for the particular tire size(s) needed. These reviews can help hone in and weed out certain brands and/or models.