Notices
Honda Civic / Del Sol (1992 - 2000) EG/EH/EJ/EK/EM1 Discussion

car won't start, when the key is turned nothing happens

Search this Thread

Old 09-21-2006, 03:10 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Re: car won't start, when the key is turned nothing happens (TouringAccord)

i mean used as in, previously used, pulled off another running car

very possible it was a reman.
Old 09-21-2006, 04:48 PM
H-T Order of Merit

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Default Re: car won't start, when the key is turned nothing happens (92ehatch)

yeah, no. It wasn't previously used.
Old 09-22-2006, 04:23 PM
5g

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Re: car won't start, when the key is turned nothing happens (TouringAccord)

when you pull your starter out check all around for debris from it if its stripped
ive been through this one before...
Old 09-22-2006, 07:41 PM
H-T Order of Merit

Default Re: car won't start, when the key is turned nothing happens (5g)

it's not stripped. It's a new starter, it has even engaged on the flywheel yet. I haven't even heard it spin or click or anything. The old one wasn't stripped either. Someone already asked that earlier in the thread.
Old 09-26-2006, 09:36 AM
H-T Order of Merit

ok, sorry I didn't update yesterday, was busy with the car until late.

I got the replacement starter yesterday and had it tested right away to make sure. I had it tested at the place I bought it from this time.

So I went home and started to clean up the mating surface of the tranny so I knew I would get good ground contact with the tranny. Once I had it installed and everything, I tested for power and ground again. This time though, the continuity test showed a lot more resistance between the starter casing and ground. I figured something wasn't grounded good enough, which would make sence because of the problems I'm having with the fuel pump and indicator lights. So I decided I would remove all the grounds and make sure they were clean and making good contact.

The first one I went for was the tranny ground. Grabbed the end on the tranny and it was tight but this time the wire itself felt loose. I looked at the other end to see that the damn thing had snapped off from the end. WTF! I know I checked it before replacing the starter the first time and it wasn't like that. It must have happened when I was working on the car when I put the new starter in, tranny fluid change, oil and filter change, air filter change, ect. I must have hit the ground wire without noticing and broke it the rest of the way off, I figure it may have gotten damaged when the motor shook real hard from the clutch getting wet but was still connected until I hit it and broke it. That would explain why all of sudden I was getting the weird electrical problems with the indicator lights and fuel pump after I replaced the starter and everything else. It must have still had contact when I checked it before but I must have hit it and broke it the rest of the way causing the problems.

So I removed it from the car and went ot a electronics store and got 4 guage wire and two ends and had them match the length and solder the ends on for me real quick. Only cost me $8. Went back home, and put it on and checked the continuity on the starter casing again and it checked much lower this time. So I finished cleaning the connections under the hood and putting dielectric grease in them and went over everything one more time.

Then I tried to start the car and it fired up real quick. It sounded awful though. Figured I had a lot fuel in the cylinders from trying to start it so many times and just gave it some time to idle and that. It evened out and sounded much better. I moved the shifter into and out of gear and it felt notchy at first. But after letting the car idle for a while I took it out for a test drive and the shifter started feeling smoother again.

I drove the car to work today and everything seems fine so far. The car starts up real nice, much nicer than before. It sounds smoother and feels smoother on starts as well.

I feel really stupid for not noticing that I knocked the ground wire free. But I said earlier it seemed like a ground after experiencing the problems with the indicator lights and fuel pump but I guess I didn't look at the ground wire close enough because I checked them before and it was fine. Either way though, I feel dumb but lesson learned and it's running now which is what matters.

A big THANK YOU to all those who helped by giving your suggestions and thoughts.
Old 09-26-2006, 03:36 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

awesome news man

lots of trouble to go through for just a ground wire

now i have to find a new thread to get my post count up in damn you lol
Old 09-27-2006, 03:39 AM
H-T Order of Merit

Default Re: car won't start, when the key is turned nothing happens (92ehatch)

yeah, I was quite pissed when I noticed it. Although, I wouldn't have had the car back any sooner since I was still waiting on the new starter. But still a lot of hassle for a ground wire.

haha, lol. yeah, I didn't think the thread would become 4 pages long with some many views.