Notices
Honda Prelude All Model Preludes

4G Prelude Innovative motor mounts install--

Search this Thread

Old 08-07-2006, 07:30 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default 4G Prelude Innovative motor mounts install--

Alright, I finally got all 3 of these in and overall I am very happy with them.

The good:

-Mounts are excellent quality
-You can completely remove the front mount
-You lose about 6 lbs
-Keeps the engine still
-Vibration is not bad

The bad:

-I had to drill out ALL 3 holes on the rear mount to a larger size. I was f'ing pissed because drilling that heavy-duty steel they use is very hard.
-Since the mounts are pretty stiff, getting them all to bolt up requires more effort than the highly flexible stock mounts.

The ugly:

-Installing a rear mount (Innovative or not) is a big job. I wouldn't try it without removing the intake manifold and other small things in that area. I spent the whole weekend doing this and a couple other small things.

Things you definately have to do IMO:

-Have a jack to lift the engine up & down and the hold it still-

-Have some sort of pry-bar to move the engine that 1/2" in any direction you need to get the mounts to bolt up-

-Do NOT try to do one at a time. If you tried to install the rear mount with the other 2 mounts torqued down you would probably kill yourself with a zip tie. Get the bolts started only on each mount before you torque anything down so you have some room to play. The when they're all in, you can torque them down.

Other than that it's just a matter of getting in there and doing it.

Here's the pics:

-Driver side comparison

-Tranny mount comparison

-Front mount comparison, hehe

-Rear mount comparison

The Innovative mounts are not lightweight as they ar pretty beefy steel, but they were still lighter than stock. Their shipping weight was 11 lbs (which is often over-rated), while the stock mounts and bolts weighed in at 17 lbs.

Enjoy

Modified by Hawkze_2.3 at 8:53 AM 2/16/2008
Old 08-07-2006, 07:35 AM
most hood white kid

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

never cease to amaze me Hawze!! nice job!

but one question, how long and hard was it to drill out the holes in the rear mount? and your engine bay is filthy...lol
Old 08-07-2006, 07:39 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (egcoupe94)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by egcoupe94 &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">never cease to amaze me Hawze!! nice job!

but one question, how long and hard was it to drill out the holes in the rear mount? and your engine bay is filthy...lol</TD></TR></TABLE>

Thanks, it very long and very hard to drill them out with the stuff I had: A simple corded power drill and a cheapo 1/2" drill bit. That thing would lock up and fling the mounts across the floor...I got pissed. If any one drove by and saw me they probably would have contacted the authorities
Old 08-07-2006, 07:45 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (Hawkze_2.3)

very nice very nice....
how much did they run you and where did you get them?
did it fix alot of wheel hop?
Old 08-07-2006, 07:47 AM
most hood white kid

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by Hawkze_2.3 &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">

Thanks, it very long and very hard to drill them out with the stuff I had: A simple corded power drill and a cheapo 1/2" drill bit. That thing would lock up and fling the mounts across the floor...I got pissed. If any one drove by and saw me they probably would have contacted the authorities </TD></TR></TABLE>

hmm..I wonder if they make air powered drills for my air compressor? Did you just put the mounts in a vise and go to town? I know what its like to get pissed...you do more nad then good when this happens...
Old 08-07-2006, 07:50 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (92hondalude)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by 92hondalude &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">very nice very nice....
how much did they run you and where did you get them?
did it fix alot of wheel hop?</TD></TR></TABLE>

I paid $300 direct from Innovative (http://www.innovativemounts.com), but I think dealers offer them cheaper than that now...

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">Product #: 29650
Price: $299.99

Finish: Black Wrinkle Powdercoat
Inserts: Black - 75A Shore Hardness Standard, Upgrade to Track for $10 Extra.

Description:
Replacement Mount Kit for 1992-1996 Honda Prelude. Designed to fit all H and F series motors.Unique no-tear vibration minimizing.bushings. CAD/CAM Designed. Stress Analyized. Lifetime warranty. All hardware is included.</TD></TR></TABLE>
Old 08-07-2006, 07:51 AM
Honda-Tech Member

looks pretty awesome

good job
Old 08-07-2006, 07:52 AM
Honda-Tech Member

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by egcoupe94 &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">

hmm..I wonder if they make air powered drills for my air compressor? Did you just put the mounts in a vise and go to town? I know what its like to get pissed...you do more nad then good when this happens... </TD></TR></TABLE>

Pfff...I didn't even have a vise just my shoe and the floor.
Old 08-07-2006, 08:16 AM
Honda-Tech Member

haha lack of safety precautions ftl! about to order mine but it's kinda gay that you have to open up the holes, so was it that the bolts didn't fit through at all?
Old 08-07-2006, 08:33 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (soundbomber)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by soundbomber &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">haha lack of safety precautions ftl! about to order mine but it's kinda gay that you have to open up the holes, so was it that the bolts didn't fit through at all?</TD></TR></TABLE>

Yep, bolts wouldn't fit through the holes...probably 1-2mm too small. I was like "F*ck, now I have to go have someone drill this out ", but I did it and it sucked.
Old 08-07-2006, 08:38 AM

very nice job hawk they look way better then the stock pieces. where did you get the engine damper from?
Old 08-07-2006, 08:41 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (boosted93vtecprelude)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by boosted93vtecprelude &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">very nice job hawk they look way better then the stock pieces. where did you get the engine damper from?</TD></TR></TABLE>

From the H-T classifieds....it's for sale now if you want it
Old 08-07-2006, 08:53 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Are you sure you're not supposed to run a front mount at all?

Anyway, nice job. How much do you want for the engine damper?

Old 08-07-2006, 09:05 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (LudemanDan)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by LudemanDan &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">Are you sure you're not supposed to run a front mount at all?

Anyway, nice job. How much do you want for the engine damper?

</TD></TR></TABLE>

Yep, no front mount at all. These things are very strong.

I paid $80 shipped for the damper, so I suppose just make me an offer from that...
Old 08-07-2006, 09:26 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: 4G Prelude Innovative motor mounts install-- (Hawkze_2.3)

only had to drill out the front hole on the rear engine mount to get it in and i had the motor out. and i have alot of room in the front cuz i have traction bars
Old 08-07-2006, 10:31 AM

I also have these mounts installed in my 4gH22. Badd *** and give them madd props. Very Strong. Vibration was not too bad, but got better as they broke in. Can barely tell now... Motor is super stiff and does not move at all. Taking out the front mount was also nice, since it really doesn't do much anway. (weakest mount). However, I also had the same fitment issues. Bolt holes are a tad bit too small. But I'd still recomend these mounts to anyone with a 4th gen. Beat the competition. Good Luck
Old 08-07-2006, 10:39 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: 4G Prelude Innovative motor mounts install-- (MikeLuder)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by MikeLuder &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">I also have these mounts installed in my 4gH22. Badd *** and give them madd props. Very Strong. Vibration was not too bad, but got better as they broke in. Can barely tell now... Motor is super stiff and does not move at all. Taking out the front mount was also nice, since it really doesn't do much anway. (weakest mount). However, I also had the same fitment issues. Bolt holes are a tad bit too small. But I'd still recomend these mounts to anyone with a 4th gen. Beat the competition. Good Luck </TD></TR></TABLE>

Good stuff

Were your rear mount holes the only ones that were too small??

Old 08-07-2006, 07:25 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Thanks for the info Hawkze Clamp that biatch in a vise next time so you dont break your wrist
Old 08-07-2006, 07:27 PM
most hood white kid

Default Re: 4G Prelude Innovative motor mounts install-- (SteveoBA8)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by SteveoBA8 &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">Thanks for the info Hawkze Clamp that biatch in a vise next time so you dont break your wrist </TD></TR></TABLE>

fo' real
Old 08-07-2006, 07:30 PM

Rear Mount holes were too small and tranny mount braket didn't line up right. I just drilled the holes a bit, and put an extra nut on a tranny mount hole to make it fit right. overall they fit good. minor details.
innovative
Old 08-07-2006, 08:49 PM
Fortune Cookie Member

does anyone ever let innovative know that their holes are too small? it would be nice for the future customers to NOT have to get mad and possibly have local authorities called on them

they sound like a good purchase but not right now lol, they're a tad bit expensive and ill have to wait till later lol
Old 08-07-2006, 08:56 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (crdcz03)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by crdcz03 &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">does anyone ever let innovative know that their holes are too small? it would be nice for the future customers to NOT have to get mad and possibly have local authorities called on them

</TD></TR></TABLE>

I actually did send them an e-mail with a link to this thread and told them to check it out....hopefully someone from Innovative will chime in.
Old 08-07-2006, 08:58 PM
Fortune Cookie Member

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by Hawkze_2.3 &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">

I actually did send them an e-mail with a link to this thread and told them to check it out....hopefully someone from Innovative will chime in. </TD></TR></TABLE>

good work hawkze!
Old 08-07-2006, 09:04 PM
hu

I had to use a 9/16 drill for one hole on the driver side mount. Will 9/16 work for the rear mounts?

Btw, nice job.

Did you use locking washers at all?
Old 08-07-2006, 09:07 PM
most hood white kid

Default Re: (crdcz03)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by crdcz03 &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">

good work hawkze! </TD></TR></TABLE>

Hawkze is the man!! I too would like to see Innovative chime in.

Is this a fairly new product for them? B/c anyone knows that newer products generally have to be redesigned a few times to becom perfect.

Quick Reply: 4G Prelude Innovative motor mounts install--