Acura Integra All Integra Except ITR

GPS Tracking for your car! Make it yourself for FREE!!

Search this Thread

Old 07-19-2006, 03:39 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default GPS Tracking for your car! Make it yourself for FREE!!

My Integra is my baby, Its like my child. I have invested alot into my Integra, and one thing I dont fu*k around with is the safety and security of my baby. You all know that the integra is the #1 stolen car in america. Its one of the easiest and almost obvious solutions to that. I came up with the idea and installed it on a few of my friends cars, I dont have one of these in my car (because its built into my clifford alarm stystem ) but to those of you that dont want to pay for expensive security solutions, here you go. I installed one on my friends integra, and when it was stolen a few months later, guess what saved it...

Things youll need:
a cell phone that you dont use, that supports Digital and Analog (most new phones)
the ESN or HEX number from the back of the phone
a cigarette lighter charger for your phone
wire (12ga works best)
zip ties
electrical tape
a good phone battery
ziplock bag

New cell phones have the ability for the network to track the location of cell phones for "911" calls. This data is transfered through the digital network of the wireless carrier. This can easily be changed in your phones menu settings.

(Example phone: LG VX6000)
Step 1: On your phone, Go to the menu, select settings, select location, there should be menu that says "E911" and "Location On", select "Location On" or something similar. This displays Latitude, Longitude and Altitude of the location of the phone to andbody that requests it. This can be accesed even if your phone is not activated.

Step 2: Go through your phone and change any settings that would turn off or put your phone into sleep mode.

Step 3: Find a spot in or under your car where your charger can reach, that it would most likely not be seen.

Step 4: Find a 12 volt power source, this must me a power source that is always on (with the battery in obviously). The back of your cigarette ligher works the best. I think there are 3 wires, you must connect the wires that are always on. The way you can tell is by testing the wires and making sure they charge the phone when the ignition is off. Once you find the "always on" wires, just splice the wires that are connecting to the lighter jack and run them to where you want to mount the phone

Step 5: Plug the charger into the phone and make sure everything works.

Step 6: Run the charger cables to an area where you can mount the phone. Make sure they are hidden from anybody.

Step 7: Make sure the phone is charging, and if it is, zip tie the charger cord to the phone and put a ziplock bag over it. Then mount the phone in an unseen area.

Step 8: Your Done!

If your car is ever stolen, you have a few options:
1: Call the police and file a legit police report, make sure they know that you have a phone in the car that has GPS abilities, and its setup for that exact reason to recover your car if its ever stolen. Give them your ESN/HEX number, and it can be used LEGALLY by you or any police officer investigating the theft.
2: Call the phone carrier, give them the ESN or HEX from the back of the phone, and get Lat & Long from them. This can be inserted into any GPS or even Google Earth, and you will be able to see the location of the unit.
3: If you are a AAA member or even if you have roadside assistance enabled on your carrier, you can always call them to get the location for... umm... "Roadside Assistance"
4: Call Fugitive finder, 917-295-4425, they will find the phone to the nearest centimeter! They charge a few hundred dollars (may defeat the purpose), but it will save your car.

If whoever steals your car takes your car battery out, (this is where the "good" phone battery comes into play) the phone will stay on standby mode for up to 48 hours. Most phones can stay on standby mode for up to 200 hours depending on the model. The location of the unit can still be broadcast even if its on standby mode.

My friends car was stolen, and this saved his car. They recovered it at a junkyard (the car was barely touched) just 4 hours after it was stolen. The car battery was taken out, but the phone was still on, transmitting information on the location of the car. The funny thing is that when it was stolen, he had his actual cell phone in it. they threw the phone out around the corner, because they diddnt want to be tracked. This definatley works. Its a very inexpensive way to save your baby

Note: This works best with Verizon Wireless phones the best, but most digital phones can do this.

Tools:
Latitude and Longitude to decimal converter
Figitive Finder (917) 295-4425 - They will find your phone >more info
Verizon Wireless Chaperone (mattcivic)

EDIT: No inverter needed , added ESN/HEX
EDIT: Added tools and added police report info
EDIT: Added chaperone (mattcivic)

Modified by ForceFedIntegra at 12:54 PM 7/21/2006
Old 07-19-2006, 03:50 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

thats a dam good idea...prob gonna rig up somethng like this myself...good thinkin!
Old 07-19-2006, 05:17 AM
Honda-Tech Member

lol nice idea, and some genius thinking behind that idea.

but i would feel much more at ease with a real GPS system

i still give you an A+ for thought, effort, and execution
Old 07-19-2006, 05:29 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Yeah deff good job one the effort, but it seems to ghetto for me.
Old 07-19-2006, 07:19 AM
Prince of Zamunda

Default Re: (atg1290)

Sorry to burst your bubble but that LG is only digital
Old 07-19-2006, 07:37 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: GPS Tracking for your car! Make it yourself for FREE!! (ForceFedIntegra)

so if you ever lose your phone you can call the carrier and the lat and longitude of where it is? Ive lost my phone before, but if you lose your phone wouldn't they just tell you the directions of where your phone is? Just wondering.
Old 07-19-2006, 08:39 AM
Prince of Zamunda

Default Re: GPS Tracking for your car! Make it yourself for FREE!! (Liquidgsr)

Called TMO and Cingular its only verizon based..Now I need to find a Verizon phone
Old 07-19-2006, 08:51 AM
Lan
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: GPS Tracking for your car! Make it yourself for FREE!! (ForceFedIntegra)

Very good idea indeed
Old 07-19-2006, 09:01 AM
Honda-Tech Member

def saving this in the notepad
Old 07-19-2006, 09:04 AM
Honda-Tech Member

best DIY of 06
Old 07-19-2006, 09:05 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: GPS Tracking for your car! Make it yourself for FREE!! (Seungho711)

AGREED
Old 07-19-2006, 09:59 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Can't say I thought of that...That's a real good Idea!
Old 07-19-2006, 10:06 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: GPS Tracking for your car! Make it yourself for FREE!! (jdm_bones)

so even if i don't have a verizon service i can do this?
Old 07-19-2006, 10:08 AM
Honda-Tech Member

bitchin'
Old 07-19-2006, 10:18 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Awesome.

Quick question though: What's the likelihood of running your car battery down if the car sits for a while, undriven? Like how long would it take?
Old 07-19-2006, 10:37 AM
Imperious: Mod of Valor

Default Re: (drumking15)

This is a good idea. However, I work for Cingular Wireless and there is no way we can track that information if someone gave us the Lat. Long. Which carrier was that phone through? Verizon?

*EDIT* Saw this this is through Verizon.
Old 07-19-2006, 10:42 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (JDM-EJ1)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by JDM-EJ1 &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">This is a good idea. However, I work for Cingular Wireless and there is no way we can track that information if someone gave us the Lat. Long. Which carrier was that phone through? Verizon?

*EDIT* Saw this this is through Verizon.</TD></TR></TABLE>
Yeah, I believe he mentioned that it was a Verizon phone, because Cingular is GAY..I would know I have a contract with them! GAY!
Old 07-19-2006, 11:18 AM
Honda-Tech Member

great idea!
Old 07-19-2006, 11:21 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Re: (Desired_Speeds)

definately a cheaper alternative than that other expensive crap...forgot what its called!
Old 07-19-2006, 11:24 AM

Default Re: (iH8RICERZ)

damn good idea, i'm definately looking into doing that for my car...way cheaper than a REAL gps
Old 07-19-2006, 11:34 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Inverters use a lot of current to upconvert dc to ac just to have your phone charger downconvert the ac back to dc for the battery. It would be much simpler and efficient from a power consumption standpoint to just us a car charger that runs direcly on standard dc power. Just cut the leads on a cigarette lighter charger.
Old 07-19-2006, 11:47 AM

Default Re: (vtecmissle)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by vtecmissle &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">Inverters use a lot of current to upconvert dc to ac just to have your phone charger downconvert the ac back to dc for the battery. It would be much simpler and efficient from a power consumption standpoint to just us a car charger that runs direcly on standard dc power. Just cut the leads on a cigarette lighter charger.</TD></TR></TABLE>

yes this is very true. I was thinking about this while i was about to go to sleep. a cigarette charger runs from a DC source and it would be much easier. I am actually going to edit this post.
Old 07-19-2006, 11:49 AM
Honda-Tech Member

I also forgot to add props for a good write up while only focusing on its weak points. Thanks for the write up.
Old 07-19-2006, 11:58 AM

"Sorry to burst your bubble but that LG is only digital"

Sorry but you are VERY wrong on this...I have sold cell phones for 5 years...the vx6000 is analog and digital...This is a verizon specific phone, and will not work on any other network.

Sorry but I hate worng info being given out.

YOUR FRIEND SIR IS A DAMN GENIUS...good call man good call...

What a clever way to kep your teg safe...
Old 07-19-2006, 01:07 PM
HGZ
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: GPS Tracking for your car! Make it yourself for FREE!! (Liquidgsr)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by Liquidgsr &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">so even if i don't have a verizon service i can do this?</TD></TR></TABLE>

i would like to know this as well.

also, say if i got ahold of an old Verizon phone that had its service disconnected, would i still be able to use it and call Verizon to find its location even though no phone number is attached to it?

Quick Reply: GPS Tracking for your car! Make it yourself for FREE!!