Notices
Honda Civic (2001 - 2005) Coupe / Sedan / Hybrid (Includes Acura EL)

Wheel stud replacement

Search this Thread

Old 07-13-2006, 03:37 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Wheel stud replacement

I have four stripped wheel studs and i need to replace them. i was wondering if anyone might have some experience with it and know whether i have to pull the hub assembly or if i can get the studs out w/o pulling the hub?

Any help would be gratly appreciated. Thanks.
Old 07-13-2006, 11:21 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Wheel stud replacement (RBeckner)

rears are easy, fronts you have to press apart the hub, installing new wheel bearings along the way. at least that is the right way to do it....
Old 07-13-2006, 11:40 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Re: Wheel stud replacement (djmota)

When I had my brakes apart for replacing, I noticed that the only thing keeping me from pressing the studs out, was the metal shield behind the brake rotor.

Heres an exploded diagram of the front brake setup allthe way down to that metal shield I was talking about.

Hope that helps.
Old 07-13-2006, 12:03 PM
Sanji

Received 35 Likes on 31 Posts
Default Re: Wheel stud replacement (Red_EM2)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by Red_EM2 &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">When I had my brakes apart for replacing, I noticed that the only thing keeping me from pressing the studs out, was the metal shield behind the brake rotor.

Heres an exploded diagram of the front brake setup allthe way down to that metal shield I was talking about.

Hope that helps.</TD></TR></TABLE>

I wonder if you could just leave the car in neutral, and rotate the hub to the spot where the metal flashing doesn't block the hub bolts from being removed. It'd be a more lengthy process, but maybe it's possible. I've used a C-Clamp to remove hub bolts before. It wasn't something I was going to take to have pressed out, on the $300 car.
Old 07-13-2006, 12:07 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Re: Wheel stud replacement (toyomatt84)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by toyomatt84 &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">

I wonder if you could just leave the car in neutral, and rotate the hub to the spot where the metal flashing doesn't block the hub bolts from being removed.</TD></TR></TABLE>

Didnt catch that. good looking out for a man.

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by toyomatt84 &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote"> I've used a C-Clamp to remove hub bolts before. It wasn't something I was going to take to have pressed out, on the $300 car. </TD></TR></TABLE>

I have as well, doesnt take too much to get them out actually. Not with a little force behind it. A fixed open ended c-clamp will work best though. Press the stud through the ears of the end of the clamp.
Old 07-13-2006, 01:43 PM

Default Re: Wheel stud replacement (Red_EM2)

anybody know if extended wheel studs work?
Old 07-13-2006, 02:21 PM
Sanji

Default Re: Wheel stud replacement (FATRACER)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by FATRACER &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">anybody know if extended wheel studs work?</TD></TR></TABLE>

Sure would, as long as you get some with the same diameter as the stock ones. I know Skunk2 and ARP make extended lug studs for our cars.
Old 07-13-2006, 05:02 PM

On my other Hondas I've been able to bang them out with a hammer. A little heat from a torch can help too. To get the studs back in I would just use an open lug nut and tighten it up to pull the stud until it was seated.

Good Luck..
Old 07-13-2006, 11:19 PM
Sanji

Default Re: Wheel stud replacement (s13_240sx_92)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by s13_240sx_92 &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">On my other Hondas I've been able to bang them out with a hammer. A little heat from a torch can help too. To get the studs back in I would just use an open lug nut and tighten it up to pull the stud until it was seated.

Good Luck..</TD></TR></TABLE>

Banging on the lug bolts could mess up your wheel bearings. Just be careful if you're going that route.
Old 07-14-2006, 08:14 PM

just replaced all of mine do to 2 of them breaking from seized junk aftermarket lugnuts...

anyway the rear you can do they come apart easy but i took the enitre front hub assembly to my dads friends press and had them press it apart hamered all the old studs out and hammered new ones in then regreased it and pressed it back together didnt bother replacing the bearings they looked to be in great condition
Old 07-18-2006, 02:29 AM

i just did mine this weekend. it was a right front that i replaced all the studs. on the 01 civic's you either have to remove the entire hub assembly: disconnect lower ball joint from control arm, diconnect strut to hub assembly bolts, remove axle nut and pop the axle loose, remove caliper and mounting bracket. From there you can press the bearing out and replace the studs. if the bearing is pressed correctly you dont need to replace it.

another possibility i have heard of is to use a slide hammer and pop the bearing apart just a little to. in order to create enough room to get the studs out, then tighten the axle nut down and that will pull the bearing back together. i didnt go this route but there is a write up documenting it on one of the forums.
Old 07-25-2006, 12:17 PM

Default Re: (RBeckner)

Would it be possible to use a gear puller to remove the hub, change out the studs, then reinstall the hub by tightening the axle nut down? Also do you know which forum the slide hammer technique was described? No luck searching for it. Thx.
Old 07-28-2006, 03:16 PM

Default Re: (ajbenter)

i am not sure whether or not a gear puller would work and the reason that is is becasue the bearings are pressed to some extreme torque.
this is the site for the Slide hammer method. i would still recommend pulling the assembly and having the bearing pressed out cause that way you dont have to worry to much about messing the bearing up.
https://honda-tech.com/zerothread?id=907985
Old 07-31-2006, 04:14 PM
Ej1

damn, i also have the same problem with my '00 SI.....i was just driving normal and out of no where, two studs brok off and my car started shaking bad!!!... so i pulled over thinking i pop a tire....looked around and seen that 2 wheel studs from the left front hub snapped off.....damn now i need help.....I just bought 4 new wheel studs this morning but have no idea of taking out the hub and replacing it without messing up the wheel bearings.....