Notices
Suspension & Brakes Theory, alignment, spring rates....

Coilovers by Function Form... Opinions Please?

Search this Thread

Old 05-07-2006, 11:18 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Coilovers by Function Form... Opinions Please?

I noticed the Function Form suspension package on JHPUSA.com. Comes with front/rear camber kit, rear lca's and 24 way adjustable coilovers. Anyone have any experience with these? I'm considering them for my 98 hatch, and I'm wondering if they're good quality, durable, handle well, all that good stuff. I understand they are ride height and preload adjustable, but are they also adjustable from the tops? Any information on this is much appreciated, thanks.
Old 05-12-2006, 09:51 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Coilovers by Function Form... Opinions Please? (ek gripper)

I'm really interested in hearing a review as well. I haven't decided on a set yet, I just got the car. I'm looking at D2, F&F, Omnipower, Ksport and Tein SS. Anyone chime in? Don't mean to threadjack!

Z
Old 05-12-2006, 09:59 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Every review i've read on ksport and F&F has been good. I've heard mixed reviews on the rest. I'm going to be installing my ksports on my 95 LS as soon as they get here.
Old 05-12-2006, 11:53 AM

i have them on my 00 coupe... nothing bad to say about them for the price they're great...
Old 05-12-2006, 06:49 PM
be professional

Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts

Does anyone have a dyno chart for the Function and Form dampers?
Old 05-25-2006, 09:16 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Ive got the F2's on my crx and they are great and ive taken my car to an open track event and it handles great
Old 06-14-2006, 10:20 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Re: (BiG Chris)

Im intrested in the same package from JHPUSA. Im getting them mainly for lowering my car more and alittle of suspension. like 75/25 ratio. And not mainly for performence. But im wondering if theres any bouncing and how much?
Old 06-14-2006, 12:14 PM
Honda-Tech Member

They are bouncy if you have it set stiff and your hittin the bumps on the freeway other than that its perfect
Old 06-14-2006, 02:16 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (BiG Chris)

All I've heard about Function form coilovers is good reviews, no bad feeback at all.
Old 07-29-2006, 08:26 AM

Default Re: (Spoogen_1)

i got mine off of jHPUSA for my 04 RSX , i loooooooooooooooove them.

they ride great too.
Old 07-29-2006, 01:04 PM
be professional

Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts
Default Re: Coilovers by Function Form... Opinions Please? (Targa250R)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by Targa250R &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">Does anyone have a dyno chart for the Function and Form dampers?</TD></TR></TABLE>
Old 07-29-2006, 05:10 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Coilovers by Function Form... Opinions Please? (Targa250R)

why not amr engineering...custom spring rates plus lifetime warranty! its what i have and i love them
Old 07-30-2006, 09:06 AM
Honda-Tech Member

ive heard nothing but great reviews on them also!!
Old 07-31-2006, 01:44 AM

Default Re: Coilovers by Function Form... Opinions Please? (zaccers)

D2, F&F, Omnipower, Ksport and Tein SS. &lt;---how would you guys compare these to konis as far as stiffness goes? im just looking to try something different
Old 08-28-2006, 10:10 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Coilovers by Function Form... Opinions Please? (caliscrilla)

I've had both the D2's and Form Functions on my 00 Coupe. I really liked the D2's when I first got them, but then one of the shocks got jacked up and I can't adjust the stiffness. Don't know where to send them into to get repaired to as I'd like to use them on my hatch. The Form and Functions ride a little softer overall but still provide for a very balanced ride.
Old 09-15-2006, 12:26 PM

i have a buddy who works at evasive motorsports and they order parts from jhp. he was saying that the function forms were actually exactly alike to the d2 besides color. He said that they are even produced in the same factory and everything. I just bought some actually but have yet to install but all ive heard is good things about either of the 2
Old 09-15-2006, 04:58 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Coilovers by Function Form... Opinions Please? (asmolovesyou)

I am only posting this to inform you guys and tell you the truth. I posted this on team-integra with a similar thread.

I paid $785 brand new for AMR engineering coilovers (the same as f2 coilovers but custom rates and a lifetime warranty). I talked with andy the dealer and he was very helpful in choosing what I wanted. I wanted to keep the ride as close to stock as possible with being lowered 1.5-2 inches. I got them shipped to my house 3 days later and was amazing with the quality.

Now the truth...
I put them on my ride and cannot complain at how easy it was. Installation was a breeze and it came with all of the correct hardware. I installed the fronts first and took them for a ride with my shitty rear suspension still on in order to get a comparison. My old setup was stock shocks and maxspeed (crappy generic) sleeveovers.

Upon taking it for a ride, I realize that it was bouncy as hell and the ride wasnt improved at all. My front end bottomed out on every bump and I felt like an idiot bouncing on every bump while people watched my car going down the street. I figured it was just the rear because that was still bouncing more so I installed the rear quickly after. Unfortunately, installing the rears did not help and the ride was basically as shitty as the original setup. Honestly, I was flying up and down on the bumps and hitting my head (seriously!) on big bumps on the freeway. Mind you I'm only 6'0" so I am not too close to the ceiling to begin with.

A little upset with the suspension, I tried to play it off cool in order to calm my dad down that he helped me pay for some shitty *** coilovers. I drove them to my friends houses a few times and decided to call it quits. The ride was so annoying I had no need to drive my car anymore. My parents gave me crap every day for not wanting to drive my car, and I was too embarrassed to admit I made an $800 dollar mistake.

I contacted the seller (Andy) and I explained to him my situation. He politely told me I can try another spring rate, but he is unsure if it will fix the problem. I had the softest 8k/6k rates so I figured I was screwed. I had planned on visiting the socal f2 dealer while I was college hunting to try their test car but never managed to find the time. Here I was with coilovers that had 50 miles on them and I was ready to get rid of them and cry.

I would lose $180 if I returned them so I decided to try and sell them. I ended up trading for type-r suspension and cash was given to me. Although I was severely raped by this deal, I was honest with the price and would not charge that much for something I do not support. I am still extremely frustrated with f2 autolife and AMR and wish you all avoid their products until they provide something that is actually worth buying. If you have any questions please PM me. Thanks

I would also like a response from f2, regardless of the numerous times I talked to them before about the problems.
Old 09-15-2006, 10:17 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

8k front and 6k rear is pretty soft. What damping level did you have the dampers at and what was your ride height?
Old 09-16-2006, 12:33 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Coilovers by Function Form... Opinions Please? (fycus)

...My EK with Form Functions feels great...in fact, several of my friends that drove my car really likes how balanced it feels paired up with everything else I did and are considering getting a set themselves. Did you mess with the coil perches at all?
Old 09-16-2006, 02:40 AM

Originally Posted by fycus
I am only posting this to inform you guys and tell you the truth. I posted this on team-integra with a similar thread.

I paid $785 brand new for AMR engineering coilovers (the same as f2 coilovers but custom rates and a lifetime warranty). I talked with andy the dealer and he was very helpful in choosing what I wanted. I wanted to keep the ride as close to stock as possible with being lowered 1.5-2 inches. I got them shipped to my house 3 days later and was amazing with the quality.

Now the truth...
I put them on my ride and cannot complain at how easy it was. Installation was a breeze and it came with all of the correct hardware. I installed the fronts first and took them for a ride with my shitty rear suspension still on in order to get a comparison. My old setup was stock shocks and maxspeed (crappy generic) sleeveovers.

Upon taking it for a ride, I realize that it was bouncy as hell and the ride wasnt improved at all. My front end bottomed out on every bump and I felt like an idiot bouncing on every bump while people watched my car going down the street. I figured it was just the rear because that was still bouncing more so I installed the rear quickly after. Unfortunately, installing the rears did not help and the ride was basically as shitty as the original setup. Honestly, I was flying up and down on the bumps and hitting my head (seriously!) on big bumps on the freeway. Mind you I'm only 6'0" so I am not too close to the ceiling to begin with.

A little upset with the suspension, I tried to play it off cool in order to calm my dad down that he helped me pay for some shitty *** coilovers. I drove them to my friends houses a few times and decided to call it quits. The ride was so annoying I had no need to drive my car anymore. My parents gave me crap every day for not wanting to drive my car, and I was too embarrassed to admit I made an $800 dollar mistake.

I contacted the seller (Andy) and I explained to him my situation. He politely told me I can try another spring rate, but he is unsure if it will fix the problem. I had the softest 8k/6k rates so I figured I was screwed. I had planned on visiting the socal f2 dealer while I was college hunting to try their test car but never managed to find the time. Here I was with coilovers that had 50 miles on them and I was ready to get rid of them and cry.

I would lose $180 if I returned them so I decided to try and sell them. I ended up trading for type-r suspension and cash was given to me. Although I was severely raped by this deal, I was honest with the price and would not charge that much for something I do not support. I am still extremely frustrated with f2 autolife and AMR and wish you all avoid their products until they provide something that is actually worth buying. If you have any questions please PM me. Thanks

I would also like a response from f2, regardless of the numerous times I talked to them before about the problems.
First i want to make this clear im not responding to this post to make a war or battle on this thread. Alot of times I DONT chime in on threads because i think it should be a consumers question answered by others consumers that have had experience with our company and products. And this post is certainly one customers experience that i hate to hear was a bad one.

But first what application do you have?? Also why ask people to ban our product, when many of our customers have been happy with our product, and our service. Then you mentioned making the effort to stop by the shop, but you didnt have the time. We have talked to you numerous times about this set up, so what response are you looking for?? Did we not fulfill your customer service needs?? Where u need to voice to on the forum for people to stop doing business with us, based on your single experience?? If you search around many of our customers are happy to get what they payed for and what we have done on the customer service side for them. Maybe your expectations of a NEAR STOCK ride quality might have been dissapointed. Or simply you were just advised on the WRONG SPRINGRATE for your application, in which your beef should be with AMR Engineering first. But thats a matter of opinion, which is fine.

Im not bashing where your coming from or being insensitive to your bad experience. Im sure this is an expensive and big purchase for you. All im saying is before bashing a product or a company, i would look the reasons your ride might be terrible. Maybe if you had the standard rates you would have had a better experience. But many of our customers have ran your spring rates and no complaints. Could have been improper installation on your part. like somebody said, did you preload, did you lower the car using the spring perches or thel ower mounts?? But once again we need to know what application you have (im gonna guess RSX right?? i might be wrong).

Excuse if there is any grammer errors, its almost 4 in the morning . And if you have any problems please pm me, or let the thread carry along. I just wanted to respond to your request for people not to support us until we make a product "worth buying"
Old 09-16-2006, 03:28 AM
B*a*n*n*e*d

Default Re: Coilovers by Function Form... Opinions Please? (Pworld)

Funny, how I find this thread, and was just going to give a thumb up to read this.

There is no need to bring Function into this. As you said our customer service is top notch, just like Function ofcourse. You spoke to me and you stated that I politly told you we could try another spring rate. That we would do whatever it takes to make you happy. I tell everyone oe of my customers if they have a problem with the spring rate that was chosen then give us a call and try another. We'll talk to you and see what exactly is a problem and go from there to try to resolve it. I personally run the 8/6 setup on my car and I'm not bouncing around. I have no idea what is going on with your setup since we have not discussed it in details. That's too bad you got rid of them because it would have been a easy fix. I have many happy customers with our setup. You are the first to ever post. If a customer has a problem all he has to do is give us a call and let us know the details.
Old 09-16-2006, 09:46 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Coilovers by Function Form... Opinions Please? (Pworld)

fycus's complant about ride quality sounds like the system was extremly under dampered. And this isn't the first time i have heard of this either, although with what AMR solid previously.

I think fycus's describes one of his problems incorrectly, or at least i hope. (the bottoming out issue). But who really knows.
Old 09-16-2006, 05:06 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Coilovers by Function Form... Opinions Please? (slammed_93_hatch)

Look guys, I am not an idiot. I installed them perfectly and did everything right. No, my car was not 3" low. My car is stock height now (well, type-r suspension), and it was only about 1.25 inches lower than the current setup in the front and rear, possibly even less. I know for a fact my car was not lowered 3", so don't call me off like im helpless and claim I did something wrong. The product I received was either faulty or just plain bad, either way I wasnt offered a solution and I am not happy. I preloaded the spring perches 5 FULL rotations into the spring, ensuring that it was preloaded. Even if higher spring rates would have helped my situaton, nobody at AMR or F2 knew for sure that higher spring rates would help my ride quality. I told them everything I knew and was willing to double check everything and report, and they still were unable to help. I have installed suspension numerous times on my car, including recently, and have had no problems whatsoever. I have an acura integra G3 setup, and the rates were recommended by andy. Although I was given the choice to exchange springs andy blamed the poor ride on my 45 series tire, which hardly affects the ride quality. I am not trying to be a forum troll, I would just like to inform people about my experience. Although you guys are on top of things, you seem to forget about a customer if they are the only one to have a problem. I still think I had a faulty setup.

Also, i am being honest and I exaggerated a little with the bouncing up and down at every bump. The car didnt bottom out as much as it was bouncy, but it did frequently bottom out at the point of where it was a problem. I felt unsafe driving on the freeway because I would hit a bump and the handling would go to crap.
Old 09-16-2006, 06:46 PM
Honda-Tech Member

how do you know you were bottoming out?

IMO the problem with the AMR (or whatever andy sells) is the valving in the shock.
Old 09-16-2006, 07:19 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Coilovers by Function Form... Opinions Please? (slammed_93_hatch)

I know I was bottoming out because my car made a noisy thud and the shock rebound was pretty slow after it happening. I have bottomed out on stock suspension, the feeling is nearly identical.

Quick Reply: Coilovers by Function Form... Opinions Please?