Notices

The CRX and Crash Safety - Question and Answer Thread - Experience Welcome

Search this Thread

Old 03-21-2006, 06:45 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Location: Close to West Chester, PA, United States of America
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default The CRX and Crash Safety - Question and Answer Thread - Experience Welcome

Love my CRX, but I would like to know some real world numbers regarding safety.

I have not been able to locate crash test ratings for our EFs.
I have heard that the car does a good job of sacrificing itself to protect the occupants.
I know that some HF models do not have side impact beams in the doors, are they helpful?
I know the 89-91 has the seatbelts mounted into the door. What happens if your door gets pulled off in an accident (saw it happen in front of me on NJ Turnpike, not an EF though)?
Does a rollcage add significant safety value?

Anyone wrecked their CRX and have pics/end notes/situational description? Experience Welcome.

p3

*edit*

Threads here for ease of access

CRX Crash Test Rating!!!
https://honda-tech.com/zerothread?id=1398981

Honda CRX: Significantly worse than average crash test rating
https://honda-tech.com/zerothread?id=1887669

Horrible Fatal CRX Accident - Local PA Newspaper w/ pics - DRIVE SAFE!
https://honda-tech.com/zerothread?id=1915401

CRX crash safety?
https://honda-tech.com/zerothread?id=1939746

Another one

https://honda-tech.com/forums/honda-crx-ef-civic-1988-1991-3/jorshers-ls-vtec-crx-videos-too-2773873/

Updated 1010.05

Modified by phoenix_iii at 9:32 AM 8/27/2008

Modified by phoenix_iii at 9:33 AM 8/27/2008

Last edited by phoenix_iii; 10-05-2010 at 04:47 PM.
Old 03-21-2006, 06:52 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Re: The CRX and Crash Safety - Question and Answer Thread - Experience Welcome (phoenix_iii)

I am only going to address one point you are asking for and that is on the roll cage. A roll cage will only add safety in connection with a helmet, harness and padding. Without any of that a roll cage is going to be deterimental to the health of anyone in the vehicle.

My buddy flipped his 90 hatch, crushed the roof flat at the back and it was touching the headrests. He walked away with no scratches. Crash safety is very subjective each accident is different.
Old 03-21-2006, 06:56 AM

Default Re: The CRX and Crash Safety - Question and Answer Thread - Experience Welcome (phoenix_iii)

The NHTSA has a rating on the 1991 Civic, which is as close as you are going to get.

http://www.nhtsa.dot.gov/NCAP/Cars/1158.html

3 star for the driver, 4 star for the passenger. Side impact was not tested. Old cars like this don't fair well in side impact tests because they were built before the era of side impact door beams and side airbags.

The other thing you have to keep in mind is that the best cars of 15-20 years ago are going to do very poorly as compared to anything more modern. Safety is relative....the new cars are much safer than older models.
Old 03-21-2006, 07:01 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

These cars fair well in side impacts. Each door has a huge metal beam going accross the door to prevent the door from folding and opening up.

Alot of guys here have crashed an EF, and they walked away no problem. I had a small front end accident and I wasn't wearing my belt, I was doing 30 he was doing 60 and my front end crumpled like an accordion, but I hardly felt a jolt. These cars fair VERY well for being so small and minimal in safety (no airbags, big open windows and hardly a body to crumple).

But since I don't plan on crashing a EF, I don't plan on finding out how well it can fair.
Old 03-21-2006, 07:02 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: The CRX and Crash Safety - Question and Answer Thread - Experience Welcome (Maxximtl)

91 CRX Si has side impact door beams
Old 03-21-2006, 07:06 AM

Default Re: The CRX and Crash Safety - Question and Answer Thread - Experience Welcome

i flipped my crx...you should be fine...why are you so concerned...
Old 03-21-2006, 07:25 AM
Honda-Tech Member

88s don't have door beams btw. That's one of the reasons they're lighter.
Old 03-21-2006, 07:36 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (purplecrx)

I'm 'concerned' because I like living and would like to know how the CRX fairs, and if additional supports/safety items are worth adding.

p3
Old 03-21-2006, 07:43 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (phoenix_iii)

I've wondered about this as well. I drive a hatch but I am still a bit worried about its size compared to most of the other vehicles on the road.

That and my horn doesn't work so I am always scared of some soccer mom talking on the phone and not noticing she's cutting me off (it's happened to me more times than I can count).

I guess I should fix my horn...

I worry a bit because, eventhough I am a very defensive driver, there are a ton of bad drivers out there that just dont' pay attention. I worry that one of those idiots is going to hit me in my little civic.

Is there anything we can do to help make these cars safer on the streets without adding a cage or roll bar? I'd like to keep my back seats and interior because it's my daily driver.
Old 03-21-2006, 08:25 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (EJ1 wilcox)

EJ... jebus, FIX YOUR HORN! Do a writeup too, maybe 'upgrade' the horn... That's very important re: safety!

p3
Old 03-21-2006, 08:35 AM
Honda-Tech Member

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by phoenix_iii &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">EJ... jebus, FIX YOUR HORN! Do a writeup too, maybe 'upgrade' the horn... That's very important re: safety!

p3</TD></TR></TABLE>

No doubt. I really need to, maybe I'll do it today. I just keep putting it off because I have so many other projects I'm working on. I'll do it today though, I know it shouldn't take more than a few minutes, I just need to get around to doing it.
Old 03-21-2006, 09:18 AM

Default Re: (EJ1 wilcox)

Just make your car quick and nimble so you can avoid other cars
Old 03-21-2006, 09:49 AM

they got 3 out of 5's if that...not that it matters...
Old 03-21-2006, 11:30 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (crxgatoRR)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by Jesterian &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">Just make your car quick and nimble so you can avoid other cars </TD></TR></TABLE>

Yeah. And buy a Volvo if you are scared of the safety. I always say that dont get into crashes.
Old 03-21-2006, 11:34 AM
Pirate General...YARRRR

Default Re: (Twilight)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by Twilight &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">

Yeah. And buy a Volvo if you are scared of the safety. I always say that dont get into crashes.</TD></TR></TABLE>
Volvos take take hits like a main battle tank
Old 03-21-2006, 12:38 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (***-assin)

H1 is the toughest road vehicle I know of.
Old 03-21-2006, 03:43 PM

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by phoenix_iii &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">I know that some HF models do not have side impact beams in the doors, are they helpful?

p3</TD></TR></TABLE>
Is this true, or do 89+ have the side impact beams?
Old 03-21-2006, 03:45 PM

Default Re: The CRX and Crash Safety - Question and Answer Thread - Experience Welcome (maharg)

is it only he hfs if so?
Old 03-22-2006, 05:19 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: The CRX and Crash Safety - Question and Answer Thread - Experience Welcome (maharg)

Read the thread

One user posted that the 88s do not have door beams (I assume all series HF DX SI), and that's one reason why they are lighter (I believe I read this elsewhere as well).

Check one of the differences charts and it has it in there. The beams weigh 35lbs each, in the doors, IIRC.

*edit
90/91 all have Side Impact Door Beams.

Last edited by phoenix_iii; 11-10-2010 at 12:33 PM.
Old 03-23-2006, 05:10 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Pics and Accident Descriptions (Speeds/Conditions, etc) very welcome!
Old 03-23-2006, 05:13 AM
Honda-Tech Member

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by phoenix_iii &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">H1 is the toughest road vehicle I know of. </TD></TR></TABLE>

Nope

THIS IS

I &lt;3 Internationals
Old 03-23-2006, 05:33 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (CRX Toad)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by CRX Toad &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">I &lt;3 Internationals</TD></TR></TABLE>

I &lt;3 this thing. O_o

Old 03-23-2006, 05:51 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (CRX Toad)

I don't think the H2 is tougher than the H1... it mgiht be 'safer' with the airbags though...

Got me with the International CTX though, never saw one before. Still regular drivers license for it I presume, if people can get away driving those Uhaul trucks with one.
Old 03-23-2006, 06:13 AM
Honda-Tech Member

I'm glad to hear that my little CRX is safe. I've considered it a death trap since I bought it. I went from a Camaro to a teeny tiny CRX. Crashed my Camaro by going off a cliff. Fell about 2 1/2 stories around 60 mph, maybe a little less. Landed on the passenger side and rolled onto the roof. I figure the only two things that saved my life were my seatbelt and the brute strength of the car. The front end took a hard hit. I guess the CRX works the opposite by crumple zones absorbing the impact. Someone tell me how to post pictures, I'll put up my Camaro.
Old 03-23-2006, 06:54 AM
Honda-Tech Member

If you want high safety, buy a brand new Civic Si. Get out of the old *** Hondas. They are cheap, lightweight commuter cars. They have little to no safety. No airbags, light thin seatbelts. The car itself is it's on airbag, it will crumple like crazy around you in a hard crash. I've seen pictures of a guy who got hit 100kmh sideways and he got out ok, if there would of been a passenger he might of been hurt, the CRX was ruined tho. Let's see if I got a pic.

Quick Reply: The CRX and Crash Safety - Question and Answer Thread - Experience Welcome