Notices
Acura Integra All Integra Except ITR

whats aftermarket pulley good for?

Search this Thread

Old 01-25-2006, 12:34 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default whats aftermarket pulley good for?

what does after market pulley does? any power increase? whats the point?
Old 01-25-2006, 12:56 PM

Default Re: whats aftermarket pulley good for? (VTECcnIT)

search
Old 01-25-2006, 12:57 PM

yeah, more power. the idea is that the new pulley is lighter, reducing the rotating mass. also, they are sized different to increase the ratio per turn (known as underdriving). however, there is a downside. i've never used them, so this is only what i've heard. the stock pulleys have silicone (i think) in the pulley to absorb the vibration from the crank. most aftermarket pulleys don't have this and i have heard it causes problems with the crank. u might want to research it more.
Old 01-25-2006, 01:42 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Pulleys can be both beneficial, and harmful. Because of the reduced rotating mass power can be increased at the wheel, also the reduction in pulley speed (under-driving) can contribute to minor power gains. As stated above, the factory crank pulley has a dampener built-in to reduce NVH,or Noise, Vibration, and Harshness. The aftermarket pulleys could increase your NVH, and theoretically damage your crank and rotating assembly. It should also be noted that an under-driven pulley will yield less force on what it is driving, for example power-steering. With the under-driven pulley in place the gear ratio between the the crank, and the power-steering pulley is decreased. The power steering is using less power off of the crank, resulting in more available power to drive the wheels. But guess who gets to make up that difference in power at the power-steering pulley... the driver. It is the same for the AC compressor as well. But for the money, size-able gains can be realized. If you are a member at this site, you should know the good and the bad before you make a decision. By no means am I a Honda engineer, so if I am incorrect, please let me know so that I too can continue to learn. Lets keep this place honda-tech.com, and not drama-tech.com Also, check these pulleys out...

http://www.fluidampr.com/sport_compact.htm
Old 01-25-2006, 05:21 PM

Default Re: whats aftermarket pulley good for? (Tornadom)

nice reply thanks to yall who helped
Old 01-25-2006, 08:57 PM
Honda-Tech Member

I like to help out as much as possible, as I am sure you would do for me. Weigh the pros and cons before you decide. Also, if you are interested in removing rotating weight, check into a lighter flywheel. Pulleys have yet to win my heart, but there are others with thousands of miles on them and no problems. Good-luck.