Notices
All Motor / Naturally Aspirated No power adders

b20 vtec questions????

Search this Thread

Old 09-30-2005, 09:07 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default b20 vtec questions????

i tried searching but suck @ it so flame if you must but i have a few questions....

1.What oil pump do you need?
2.water pump?
i heard that all obd 2 motors you dont need to change the oil pump because it is sufficient enough to use on a b20/LS vtec

1998 b20 block obd2
94 gsr head obd 1
gsr trans

both bone stock...

Modified by beaneg6 at 9:38 AM 10/3/2005
Old 09-30-2005, 09:35 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

VTEC oil pump.
LS water pump w/ LS timing belt or GSR oil pump w/ GSR timing belt.
Old 10-01-2005, 12:04 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

u should be fine with the stock oil pump. it is the same as the vtec oil pumps. just use a vtec water pump and gsr timing belt
Old 10-01-2005, 06:26 AM

Default Re: b20 vtec questions???? (beaneg6)

that is correct your fine as your oil pump goes its already a vtec pump, as far as your water pump goes you can leave the stock one in there if ud like but if i where building that motor id replace the timing belt and if your gonna do that then ud might as well put on a vtec water pump rule of thumb when u do a timing belt u should the water pump as well
Old 10-03-2005, 08:37 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: b20 vtec questions???? (2quikmotorwerks)

bump....can someone clarify please!!
Old 10-03-2005, 06:25 PM

Default Re: b20 vtec questions???? (beaneg6)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by beaneg6 &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">bump....can someone clarify please!!</TD></TR></TABLE>what do u want clarifyied?
Old 10-06-2005, 11:19 AM

Default Re: b20 vtec questions???? (2quikmotorwerks)

Incorrect. Vtec pumps are all the same as Vtec pumps. Non-vtec pumps are not the same as a vtec pump. If your doing a ls/vtec or crv/vtec go with a vtec pump such as a GSR or ITR pump.
Old 10-06-2005, 06:29 PM

Default Re: b20 vtec questions???? (eicivic)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by eicivic &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">Incorrect. Vtec pumps are all the same as Vtec pumps. Non-vtec pumps are not the same as a vtec pump. If your doing a ls/vtec or crv/vtec go with a vtec pump such as a GSR or ITR pump.</TD></TR></TABLE>um excuse me smart guy its a b20 block any non vtec block after 95 came with a vtec oil pump even though its not a vtec motor you got a little more learning to do
Old 03-10-2009, 12:33 AM
B*a*n*n*e*d

Default Re: b20 vtec questions????

I know for a fact that INTEGRA motors b18a/b/c under 96 came with diffrences and those diffrences was a washer.

Ok well long time searching and i have finally found out the big secret to the oil pumps. The only thing thats different in them is indeed just a washer.

BUT that washer is the thing that changes oil pressure because takin tht out allows the hexbolt plug to sit lower and compress the relief spring a little more.this causes higher oil pressure before the plunger is lifted off the seat to bypass the oil

so diffrences are infact oil pressure because of that little washer

nowi do understand that 96+ b18 motors came with the same oil pumps, but then again the b20 isnt a b18 now is it? and its completly diffrent its not even the chassis or drive train of a car.. its a suv,

"so smart one" before you decide to tell other people they need to learn nore why dont you go and compare a b20 oil pump to a VTEC oil pump snap some pics then come back and talk

personally i replaced my b20 oil pump with a B18c oil pump cuz it was starving my rod bearings at high rpm and it was started to shave the coating off.
Old 03-10-2009, 04:08 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: b20 vtec questions????

Originally Posted by dc4-b20
I know for a fact that INTEGRA motors b18a/b/c under 96 came with diffrences and those diffrences was a washer.

Ok well long time searching and i have finally found out the big secret to the oil pumps. The only thing thats different in them is indeed just a washer.

BUT that washer is the thing that changes oil pressure because takin tht out allows the hexbolt plug to sit lower and compress the relief spring a little more.this causes higher oil pressure before the plunger is lifted off the seat to bypass the oil

so diffrences are infact oil pressure because of that little washer

nowi do understand that 96+ b18 motors came with the same oil pumps, but then again the b20 isnt a b18 now is it? and its completly diffrent its not even the chassis or drive train of a car.. its a suv,

"so smart one" before you decide to tell other people they need to learn nore why dont you go and compare a b20 oil pump to a VTEC oil pump snap some pics then come back and talk

personally i replaced my b20 oil pump with a B18c oil pump cuz it was starving my rod bearings at high rpm and it was started to shave the coating off.
Before you start calling people out you should really do some research.
If you would have compared part #'s for b20 and b18c oil pumps, you'd find they are in fact THE SAME PUMP.

Part# 15100-P72-A01

Before 96 there were different oil pumps for vtec and non vtec, afterwards they're all the same.

For the OP, lookin in the faq up top for "How to build a reliable lsvtec" has all the answers you need.