Honda Civic / Del Sol (1992 - 2000) EG/EH/EJ/EK/EM1 Discussion

ABS & skidmarks

Search this Thread

Old 09-15-2005, 12:36 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default ABS & skidmarks

i own a 94 civic coupe EXA
simple question.

Does ABS vehicle ^ leave skidmarks when braking forward at around 40 to 60 mph??

thanks for your response..

Old 09-20-2005, 10:44 AM

Default Re: ABS & skidmarks (Zing Xiong)

bump

need response plz
Old 09-20-2005, 11:14 AM
Honda-Tech Member

It's possible. Try it and see.
Old 09-20-2005, 11:22 AM
Honda-Tech Member

A-antilock B-braking S-system

If they are working properly they should not be locking up and leaving "skidmarks".

My van has ABS and no matter how hard I try they will not lock up.

I would have them checked out if they are locking up.
Old 09-23-2005, 08:48 AM

Default Re: (4door_demon)

well i had a civic with abs..

had ..

i need to know if abs cars can leave skid marks
i know if they lock up, abs is not working ..

question : can abs cars leave skidmarks braking at around 40 to 60?

i had a car but i don't no more if any one can help me out plz .. but be safe
Old 09-23-2005, 08:51 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (Zing Xiong)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by Zing Xiong &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">
question : can abs cars leave skidmarks braking at around 40 to 60?
</TD></TR></TABLE>

No, if you don't lock up your wheels, how are you supposed to leave skidmarks? So I'm guessing you went flying off the road, and looking to start up a class action or something?

Old 09-23-2005, 08:51 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Re: (4door_demon)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by 4door_demon &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">A-antilock B-braking S-system

If they are working properly they should not be locking up and leaving "skidmarks".

</TD></TR></TABLE>

Working properly it should not lock up but it is definately possible for it to leave skid marks.

If you can't even get a chirp out of your van I would get the brakes looked at.
Old 09-23-2005, 10:00 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (JDM-97CX)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by JDM-97CX &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">

Working properly it should not lock up but it is definately possible for it to leave skid marks. </TD></TR></TABLE>

But not normal skidmarks, from aplication of the brake until the stop point. They should only lock up on initial application of the brake, and then the computer should modulate to keep the wheels spinning.

Old 09-29-2005, 11:04 AM

Default Re: (AutoXer)

thanks for your response.

actually yes and no to AutoXer my car locked up in a head on collision
with another vehicle.. i was lucky to have survived someone else wasn't..

thanks again for all the response..
Old 09-29-2005, 12:30 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (Zing Xiong)

ABS sucks...learn to power brake...you can stop faster...
Old 09-29-2005, 12:34 PM

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by 2k.civic.si &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">ABS sucks...learn to power brake...you can stop faster...</TD></TR></TABLE>

i trust my own foot modulating than a computer .. also .. i can get closer to threshold braking without locking up .. non-abs plus some good modulating &gt; abs
Old 09-29-2005, 01:10 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (JDM-97CX)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by JDM-97CX &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">Working properly it should not lock up but it is definately possible for it to leave skid marks.

If you can't even get a chirp out of your van I would get the brakes looked at.</TD></TR></TABLE>

ABS just makes sure that your brakes dont lock together. meaning if you needed to brake to 30 real fast from 60 it doesnt put you into a slide and make you lose control.

ABS DOES leave skid marks if you brake from 40-60, especially if its fast or emergency type situations
Old 09-29-2005, 01:13 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (taney)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by taney &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">

i trust my own foot modulating than a computer .. also .. i can get closer to threshold braking without locking up .. non-abs plus some good modulating &gt; abs </TD></TR></TABLE>

ABS can pump the brakes 100's of times per second in the case you do lock up, are you telling me your going to be doing that while you brake frantically?

To play devils advocate, I have seen tests on multiple cars that show ABS actually increases the stopping distance on dry conditions, but ABS was made for 'non-optimal' conditions to begin with....
Old 09-29-2005, 07:37 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (FuNkDrSpOt)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by Zing Xiong &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">
thanks for your response.

actually yes and no to AutoXer my car locked up in a head on collision
with another vehicle.. i was lucky to have survived someone else wasn't..

thanks again for all the response..</TD></TR></TABLE>

Sorry to hear that; hope all works out for you.

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by FuNkDrSpOt &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">
ABS DOES leave skid marks if you brake from 40-60, especially if its fast or emergency type situations

ABS can pump the brakes 100's of times per second in the case you do lock up, are you telling me your going to be doing that while you brake frantically?

To play devils advocate, I have seen tests on multiple cars that show ABS actually increases the stopping distance on dry conditions, but ABS was made for 'non-optimal' conditions to begin with....
</TD></TR></TABLE>

You're sorely missinformed. ABS keeps the brakes from a continual lockup, in order to keep the wheels spinning, so you are able to steer the car while emergency braking. This does not leave traditional skidmarks, no matter what speed. You can't steer a car when the steering wheels are locked up, which is the whole point of ABS.

If you know what you're doing, and can modulate the brakes properly, you can stop much quicker while maintaining control of the car without ABS than with. The problem is, only 0.1% of drivers know how to do this properly. I'm glad ABS is in cars, because most everyone on the road has know idea what to do in an emergency situation. Problem is, most everyone also locks up in an emergency, so even if they can steer, they don't.

In wet or dry, and car without ABS will outbrake a similar car with ABS. It's plain physics, when tires are locked up, they will create more friction and stop the car faster. The point of ABS isn't to decrease stopping distances, it's to allow the wheels to keep turning so the average driver can maintain control of the vehicle instead of sliding into a tree, car, curb, etc...

Old 09-29-2005, 07:47 PM
Honda-Tech Member

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by AutoXer &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">Sorry to hear that; hope all works out for you.

You're sorely missinformed. ABS keeps the brakes from a continual lockup, in order to keep the wheels spinning, so you are able to steer the car while emergency braking. This does not leave traditional skidmarks, no matter what speed. You can't steer a car when the steering wheels are locked up, which is the whole point of ABS.

If you know what you're doing, and can modulate the brakes properly, you can stop much quicker while maintaining control of the car without ABS than with. The problem is, only 0.1% of drivers know how to do this properly. I'm glad ABS is in cars, because most everyone on the road has know idea what to do in an emergency situation. Problem is, most everyone also locks up in an emergency, so even if they can steer, they don't.

In wet or dry, and car without ABS will outbrake a similar car with ABS. It's plain physics, when tires are locked up, they will create more friction and stop the car faster. The point of ABS isn't to decrease stopping distances, it's to allow the wheels to keep turning so the average driver can maintain control of the vehicle instead of sliding into a tree, car, curb, etc...</TD></TR></TABLE>
"When these brakes are pressed hard (like in a panic stop or accident) the ABS pumps the brakes up to 30 times/sec. This occurs in an alternating pattern, left front/right rear and right front/left rear. This system helps the driver maintain control and stop the car in a straight line rather than spinning out of control. It enables you to stop it where you want to. In other words, when you slam on the brakes, the car will head the direction you turn the wheel while you are braking. ABS also helps when stopping the car in adverse weather conditions like ice, snow, and rain."

For now we'll call you both right
Old 09-29-2005, 08:20 PM
Honda-Tech Member

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by AutoXer &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">
You're sorely missinformed. ABS keeps the brakes from a continual lockup, in order to keep the wheels spinning, so you are able to steer the car while emergency braking. This does not leave traditional skidmarks, no matter what speed.</TD></TR></TABLE>

SORELY misinformed eh....

http://auto.howstuffworks.com/anti-lock-brake.htm

I think you should visit that website to refresh your memory on how ABS works, especially your part about how braking without ABS is always faster than with ABS, regardless of the conditions, according to you

ABS keeps brakes from continual lockup, but to state that ABS doesnt make skid marks means that you dont understand ABS. It will still burn rubber on the road, it just allows the tire to rotate in-between it's brake-pumping.

I just think your making skid marks synonymous with brake-lock-up, which isn't. Braking really hard from a high speed will leave skid marks regardless of the vehicle, ABS or non-ABS, brakes, etc.

Think about it like this, ABS pumps the brakes over and over in response to the wheels moving slower than the car. In-between pumps, the brakes are attempting to stop the car, and skid marks will still be made. They just usually wont be as prominent.

Modified by FuNkDrSpOt at 9:47 PM 9/29/2005
Old 09-30-2005, 09:48 PM
Honda-Tech Member

show me a formula1 car that uses abs =P
Old 09-30-2005, 10:29 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (2k.civic.si)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by 2k.civic.si &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">show me a formula1 car that uses abs =P</TD></TR></TABLE>

I know nothing, absolutely nothing about formula1 cars, but they have a completely different:

wheel base
chassis design
brake system
tire diameter
type of tire (slicks)

Etc., etc, etc.

Formula 1 also has some of the best drivers in the world, and they dont drive 80 on the freeway, only to have to brake to 40 because grandma in the next lane wants to get over.

apples and oranges, man.
Old 09-30-2005, 10:59 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Re: (FuNkDrSpOt)

ABS leaves skid marks. Ever seen those circle patches of rubber from a semi braking hard. They leave like circle skid "patches" like every couple of feet (obviously cause the tire is bigger so a small civic wheel will leave skid marks closer together). It kinda looks like this:

. . . . . .....
. . . . . .....

And yes I have to much time on my hands....lol. Maybe I'll find some and take a pic.
Old 09-30-2005, 11:26 PM
Honda-Tech Member

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by AutoXer &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">
It's plain physics, when tires are locked up, they will create more friction and stop the car faster.
</TD></TR></TABLE>

Sorry, wrong there. With the tires locked up, you've gone past the coefficient of friction of the tires. The tires are skidding, they're not grabbing the road anymore. If "locking up" your tires is the best way to stop, brake pedals wouldn't need any travel, it would do fine with an on/off switch.

You have to remember that tire:road friction doesn't slow the car down, it's brake pad:rotor friction that does. Tire:road friction has to be kept at a maximum while the pads/rotors are doing their job. The purpose of ABS is to not let the pad:rotor friction overcome the tire:road friction. Otherwise you would be skidding with the brakes locked up. Locked up = no friction = no control.

The reason threshold braking under ideal conditions with a good driver can have a shorter stopping distance than an ABS-equipped car under the same conditions is because ABS tends to activate much sooner than the tire:road friction runs out. Threshold braking relies on feel and experience, none of which an ABS computer could even hope to achieve. All the ABS has to worry about is not locking up a wheel. It doesn't care if your have all-seasons or r-compounds on, nor does it know what kind of driver you are.

As for the comment about the Formula 1 cars, they do not have ABS because they are not allowed to as per the rules. Not because conventional brakes are better than ABS every time, all the time, which simply isn't true. They are not allowed to run ABS for cost reasons. Hardly any technology or physics principles applied to a Formula 1 car (or most any race car) will be applicable to our daily driving needs. Completely different worlds, different perspectives, different purposes, different costs. Apples and oranges indeed.
Old 09-30-2005, 11:49 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (2k.civic.si)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by 2k.civic.si &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">show me a formula1 car that uses abs =P</TD></TR></TABLE>

http://www.ultimatecarpage.com...=1052

The Williams-Renault FW14B did. And it was considered to be the most technologically-laden Formula 1 car ever. But cost-cutting and the need for "closer racing" for "viewer entertainment" made this one of the last years all these gizmos were allowed on an F1 car.
Old 10-01-2005, 12:38 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (L8apex)

http://www.tarorigin.com/art/absscuff/

Car and Driver had an article a few years ago about accident reconstruction through skid marks. The official position is that ABS vehicles do leave marks. However, they do not leave a conventional skid mark as it would if the wheel actually locks up. It leaves more of a repeating pattern, a sort of
| | | | | | | | | | | | |
instead of the
|||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||| ||||||||||||
constant pattern. See the above link for more information. Accident reconstruction experts can usually tell how fast an ABS equipped vehicle was going and how hard it was braking by studying the marks it makes.

Cliffs Notes: If it is working properly, ABS brakes make a repeating pattern of short skid marks when you slam on the brakes. If not working properly, you'll either free-wheel until you hit something, or the brakes will completely lock up and you'll get a solid skid mark.
Old 10-01-2005, 01:44 AM
Honda-Tech Member

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by AutoXer &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">It's plain physics, when tires are locked up, they will create more friction and stop the car faster. </TD></TR></TABLE>

dude... if you failed high school physics.. don't say "it's plain physics..."

when tires lock up, we go from static friction(tires not skidding, tires not locked up) to kinetic friction(tires skidding, tires locked up). since static friction coefficient &gt; kinetic friction coefficient, and Frictional Force = Friction Coefficient * Normal Force, we can calculate that there are more frictional force to stop the car when the tires are not locked up/skidding. therefore, car stops faster when tires are not skidding.

As to the original question.. since the car is still moving forward, dragging its wheels forward, with the tires going from locked, rolling, locked, rolling from the pumping of the abs system, therefore, like what people have said before, it'll leave a dotted skid mark.
Old 10-01-2005, 07:08 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: ABS & skidmarks (importrule)

i didnt have abs and mine locked up and flipped me into a ditch.

ABS makes ur brakes kinda pulse keeping them from locking up. however its still possible to leave a skid mark cause during that pulsing they can lock
Old 10-01-2005, 08:00 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: ABS & skidmarks (importrule)

</TD></TR></TABLE>

It's plain physics, when tires are locked up, they will create more friction and stop the car faster.

</TD></TR></TABLE>

This is incorrect.

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by importrule &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">

when tires lock up, we go from static friction(tires not skidding, tires not locked up) to kinetic friction(tires skidding, tires locked up). since static friction coefficient &gt; kinetic friction coefficient, and Frictional Force = Friction Coefficient * Normal Force, we can calculate that there are more frictional force to stop the car when the tires are not locked up/skidding. therefore, car stops faster when tires are not skidding.

</TD></TR></TABLE>

What he said about the friction coefficient is correct.

The point of ABS isn't to decrease stopping distances, it's to allow the wheels to keep turning so the average driver can maintain control of the vehicle instead of sliding into a tree, car, curb, etc...

</TD></TR></TABLE>

In some most cases ABS will reduce stopping distances, I had read a excellent test report on this once (I am currently looking for it online so I can share with all of you) When comparing ABS don't forget to look at how many channels it has, this will make a difference especially with nose heavy hondas. The more channels the better.

ABS will definately increases stopping distances on gravel.

And no you can't modulate your brakes better then ABS, I don't remember hondas coming with multiple brake pedeals stock..........

Quick Reply: ABS & skidmarks