Notices
Honda Accord (1990 - 2002) Includes 1997 - 1999 Acura CL

03 Accord Radio Display Light

Search this Thread

Old 08-31-2005, 05:59 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 03 Accord Radio Display Light

Can anyone help me out. I have an 03 Accord ex-v6 and the problem is the center console where the radio/cd/climate controls are, the light is out. Everything works but the display is out. Is it a fuse or did the bulb go out and if it did go out how do I take the stereo console off to change? or should I just take to honda and get jacked by them? Please help. Thanks!
Old 08-31-2005, 06:46 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Default Re: 03 Accord Radio Display Light (graciebjj)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by graciebjj &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote"> or should I just take to honda and get jacked by them? </TD></TR></TABLE>
Depends on if you want Honda to jack you a new audio unit.
Old 08-31-2005, 09:44 PM

This is somewhat of a common problem on the '03's .... it is not a light, and it is not a bad display... it's a failed audio unit. There is a Honda service bulletin addressing this issue. If you aren't too far out of warranty, and you complain enough... Honda will probably goodwill warranty it.
Old 09-04-2005, 08:35 PM

So your saying i'm gonna have to get a whole new unit???? I'm about 4k over my warranty and they just replaced my transmission cause it went out and luckily I was just under warranty for that. HMM!! Thanks!
Old 09-04-2005, 08:53 PM

You can't just change a bulb or fuse to get it fixed. They have to take the whole headunit out and change a significant part of it. However, this is a well known problem. I was 20K over my warranty, but I called Honda and I got a goodwill repair and I only had to pay about $70. Since you are only 4k over, I'm pretty sure they will cover all of it. Otherwise, the repair costs over $800!!
Old 09-05-2005, 12:16 PM

I have an 03, and my radio did the same thing. They will replace it under warranty...I used to work for honda, Acura now, but In my experience, they will most likely good will it if it is out of warranty. They have to keep their CSI up, so they won't screw you on $1000 of parts....trust me thats how much the sh*t costs, i had my parts guy check it out.
Old 09-05-2005, 01:45 PM

Default Re: 03 Accord Radio Display Light (TheSkip)

Damn, I guess i'll try to give them a call and see if they can fix it for me "goodwill". If not I guess it's time for EBAY!!!
Old 09-06-2005, 10:05 AM

I have this same issue, and Honda said $750 for the part. I can get a whole new navigation installed for that! This is highway robbery, and it's a known defect. Any suggestions on how to get them to goodwill this for me would be appreciated. What did you guys do, just walk in there and cause a scene?

on a 36K mile warranty, i am at 48K. , that's 12K over. It's an 03, and have had no problems until now. Maybe a trade in?

IM me at Virgil781 if you have some tips! This sucks!!!
Old 09-07-2005, 01:16 PM

Default Re: 03 Accord Radio Display Light (joedustin)

UPDATE on this ISSUE.

I called Honda Customer service and they are going to GOODWILL the part for me. (means fix it for free out of warranty)

-I went to the dealer and had it looked at. I got a referral call customer service.
-I called (800)-999-1009, pressed 3 for parts and recall issues.

I described to the agent my issue, and how i have done research and found out about the Honda Bulletin regarding this issue. He asked me questions:
-What;s your mileage? (I was 12,200 over the factory warranty)
-Where dealer looked at this for you?
-What was the rep's name?
-How much did they say the cost was?
-How long have you had this car?
-How does this affect you?

---this was when the agent started putting words into my mouth, acording to what he knows his case supervisor wants to hear. This was really cool. He said " ok, so you can't see your radio, difficult to operate. Your climate control is now affected becayse you can't see what you are pressing, or setting regarding temps, modes, etc. That's not good at all sir....We'll contact you soon with an update.

in 6 hours, the dealer called me back to schedule an appt to replace the radio unit. Only charge is $135 in labor. I was psyched!!!!!

Hope this helps you guys!

-Joe
AIM - virgil781
Old 09-07-2005, 07:45 PM

Joedustin,

thanks for the feedback bro, i'm gonna give that number you listed a call tomorrow and see what happens. Paying a little over a $100 for an expensive part when i'm over warranty by about the same amount is awesome.

Again, thanks!!

John
Old 09-07-2005, 08:19 PM

John.

Make sure you bring it into the dealer first, and they have a record of evaluating the problem, and officially finding that this is this issue. Then call the number. What happens is that Honda will call your dealer and speak with the service rep about the issue.

If you haven't had it checked out, they will probably tell you to do that first, to cover their ***.

Good luck!
-Joe
Old 09-09-2005, 07:01 AM

Seriously, calling the customer service line helps...Honda doesn't want to get screwed on their CSI... Trust me I work for Acura, and we give **** away like its going out of style...I seriously want to trade my K24 Accord in and buy an RSX-S so that I can purposely beat on it and then get free parts...But with my luck by the time I get the car our service manager will be history and then i'll be screwed....damn murphy's law.....

Anyway, good to hear your issue has been solved!!!

Just don't get a 3.2 TL out of warranty, you'll be paying $3000+ per transmission we have to replace
Old 09-11-2005, 02:54 PM

Can anyboody point where is this service buletin for the radio issues ? I have the same problem with the light at mt radio. It was just out of warranty when it happended for me. I went to dealrship and they quote me flat out $800. Way too much for me. But on $135 or so I will change the radio.

Thank you !
Old 09-11-2005, 04:26 PM

Default Re: 03 Accord Radio Display Light (aandea)

Technical Service bulletins (TSB's) cost money usually.
This site is pretty good though - and may even send you a TSB if you ask nicely.

http://www.batauto.com/

Also, this article is worth the read:
http://www.edmunds.com/apps/vd....html
Old 12-09-2005, 07:29 AM

Default Re: 03 Accord Radio Display Light (eldar)

For people looking for Honda Service Bulletin addressing the radio display issue, here is the link for the PDF:
(#04-027 Audio-HVAC Module is Dim or Dark)
Old 12-09-2005, 09:43 AM
B*a*n*n*e*d

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

common problem. Honda should fix it for you with little hassle
Old 12-09-2005, 12:06 PM

Me to, I have a 03 and my radio did the same thing. They replaced mine and I had 64,000 miles on my car. At first they wanted me to just pay the labor, but I told them I spoke with American Honda and they said (which I totally agree with) that it shouldn't cost me anything because it's a common problem. Well after that they replaced it free of charge. So go for it, if I was you I wouldn't pay a dime. That's a problem they should have addressed.