Notices
Acura Integra Type-R All Integra Type R Discussions

Motul 5w-30 analysis by Blackstone Labs.

Search this Thread

Old 07-13-2005, 09:06 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Motul 5w-30 analysis by Blackstone Labs.

Here are the results. Analysis is from my 97 R w/~22k. I hope you guys can read it

A small amount of silicon was found in the sample. It could be an anti-foaming agent in the oil, but I believe it could be from some sand that may have snuck it's way in, I changed my air filter the same time I changed to the motul. Luckily, the wear values are still very low.

The analysis only has 2500 miles on it, but it saw some serious track time. 2 full days of numerous 10-20 min sessions. The 2nd day my buddy and I were the only ones on the track. So he and I got so much seat time we didn't even want to drive home.

My wear values (iron, copper, lead etc) are still very low for 2500. The last column is averages for 4100 miles..

I was forced to change it early because I swapped to a baffled pan, according to blackstone It should be good to go for ~5k .

The filter used was a K&N.

Motul is spendy stuff, but it looks like it keeps the motor in excellent shape even through extreme use. Switching to 5k intervals could justify the dollar amount, if the protection doesn't.

I have used 2 other oils in the past. Amsoil and Redline, I'm sending the Redline in for analysis here very soon. The car has only seen about 200 miles on the OE honda oil..

Ill let some of the other oil gurus weigh in w/their opinion/insight.
Old 07-13-2005, 09:12 AM
cool guy name

Default Re: Motul 5w-30 analysis by Blackstone Labs. (FunctionMotoring)

Not bad, I drive too my car too much to use motul every time. 120 miles a day.
Old 07-13-2005, 09:15 AM
Honda-Tech Member

There's no question, Motul is great stuff. I use Motul race formula for the karts, everytime we pull the engines out for a rebuid, there's barely any carbon gunk left on the internals.
Old 07-13-2005, 09:17 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Motul 5w-30 analysis by Blackstone Labs. (walker111)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by walker111 &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">Not bad, I drive too my car too much to use motul every time. 120 miles a day.</TD></TR></TABLE>

It's definatley spendy, we'll have to see what happens w/the Redline analysis to really justify the cost

I forgot to post this up, it's an explanation on the different elements found in the test, it can be found on blackstones site:

http://www.blackstone-labs.com....html

Aluminum : Pistons, bearings, cases (heads & blocks).
Chromium: Rings, a trace element in steel.
Iron: Cylinders, rotating shafts, the valve train, and any steel part sharing the oil.
Copper: Brass or bronze parts, copper bushings, bearings, oil coolers, also an additive in some gasoline engine oils.
Lead : Bearings.
Tin: Bearings, bronze parts, piston coatings.
Molybdenum: Anti-wear additive, coating on some new rings (washes off as break-in occurs).
Nickel: Trace element in steel.
Manganese: Trace element, additive in gasoline.
Silver: Trace element.
Titanium: Trace element.
Potassium: Antifreeze inhibitor, additive in some oil types.
Boron: Detergent/dispersant additive, antifreeze inhibitors.
Silicon : Airborne dirt, sealers, gaskets, antifreeze inhibitors.
Sodium: Antifreeze inhibitors, additive in some gasoline engine oils.
Calcium : Detergent/dispersant additive.
Magnesium: Detergent/dispersant additive.
Phosphorus: Anti-wear additive.
Zinc: Anti-wear additive.
Barium : Detergent/dispersant additive.
Old 07-13-2005, 09:30 AM
Honda-Tech Member

I'm about to send in my oil sample as well.

5W-30 Mobil 1 Syn

Modified by P Nut at 12:59 PM 7/13/2005
Old 07-13-2005, 10:53 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Re: (P Nut)

have you consider doing an analysis for Mobil 1 ? at least you can compare or how does Mobil 1 hold up compare to all of this types of synthetic oils. Not sure if this has been cover before
Old 07-13-2005, 12:08 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Motul 5w-30 analysis by Blackstone Labs. (FunctionMotoring)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by FunctionMotoring &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">I have used 2 other oils in the past. Amsoil and Redline, I'm sending the Redline in for analysis here very soon. The car has only seen about 200 miles on the OE honda oil..</TD></TR></TABLE>

Did you ever do a test on the AMSOIL? I'd be interested to see the difference.

-Victor (who uses Amsoil 0w30)
Old 07-13-2005, 12:12 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (GokuSSJ4)

Good info! Let us know the results on any other oil you guys send in
Old 07-13-2005, 12:49 PM

Default Re: (Rory Breaker)

seems like your iron wear was close to the avg
Old 07-13-2005, 01:14 PM

Default Re: (Stewie)

motul also makes for a very good smelling, jdm hair grease.
Old 07-13-2005, 01:21 PM
rzz
Honda-Tech Member

which model of mutol is use for testing?
8100 or old 300V or new 300V?
Old 07-13-2005, 01:41 PM
H-T Order of Merit

Default Re: (Rory Breaker)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by Rory Breaker &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">Good info! Let us know the results on any other oil you guys send in </TD></TR></TABLE>

Snake oil spewed by politicians?
Old 07-13-2005, 02:27 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Here is my Expo 5 (there and back with track miles) UOA on 5w30 Havoline SM with K&N 1004 oil filter. Looks like a good 99 cent/quart after rebate oil to me.

http://img73.imageshack.us/my....f.jpg

Your silicon @ 16 ppm isn't horrible. Try a new or cleaned air filter. Mine was at 8 and I changed it after this UOA (visible dirty but no leaves or animals in the airbox ) Your TBN being 9.1, you drained that oil WAY too soon. Too expensive to only go 2,500 miles on, but now you know. The moly content is insanely high too! You need to post this up at the oil drop forum (UOA section... http://theoildrop.server101.co...m;f=3
Old 07-13-2005, 02:36 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (Dbl Ey!)

Interesting analysis, thanks for posting.

I'd hate to veer the topic off course, but does anyone have an idea where I can purchase Motul products online ? I'd like to give it a try myself. Thanks in advance boys.
Old 07-13-2005, 02:50 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (hybrider)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by hybrider &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">
I'd hate to veer the topic off course, but does anyone have an idea where I can purchase Motul products online ? I'd like to give it a try myself. Thanks in advance boys.</TD></TR></TABLE>

https://honda-tech.com/zerothread?id=1086455
Old 07-13-2005, 02:56 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (P Nut)

My apologies, the recent heatwave has made me disgustingly lazy

Old 07-13-2005, 08:54 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (veggiemaster)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by veggiemaster &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">motul also makes for a very good smelling, jdm hair grease. </TD></TR></TABLE>

bwahah.. damn that oil pan.

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by rzz &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">which model of mutol is use for testing?
8100 or old 300V or new 300V?</TD></TR></TABLE>

It was 300v, however I'm not sure how to tell the "new" and "old" apart.

Hybrider, I picked it up from HMS motorsport...

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by P Nut &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">I'm about to send in my oil sample as well.

5W-30 Mobil 1 Syn

Modified by P Nut at 12:59 PM 7/13/2005</TD></TR></TABLE>

Paul, Blackstone was very quick to get the results back to me. It just took me forever to send it in I'm sure Art will gripe about it next time you come over btw, we are taking part another 240 @Art's this weekend if you wanna drop by

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by Dbl Ey! &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">Here is my Expo 5 (there and back with track miles) UOA on 5w30 Havoline SM with K&N 1004 oil filter. Looks like a good 99 cent/quart after rebate oil to me.

http://img73.imageshack.us/my....f.jpg

Your silicon @ 16 ppm isn't horrible. Try a new or cleaned air filter. Mine was at 8 and I changed it after this UOA (visible dirty but no leaves or animals in the airbox ) Your TBN being 9.1, you drained that oil WAY too soon. Too expensive to only go 2,500 miles on, but now you know. The moly content is insanely high too! You need to post this up at the oil drop forum (UOA section... http://theoildrop.server101.co...m;f=3</TD></TR></TABLE>

Thanks 2A. Ill post it up there for sure. I had to drain it to swap to my uber-bling m00gen pan
Old 07-14-2005, 08:04 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (FunctionMotoring)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by FunctionMotoring &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">
Paul, Blackstone was very quick to get the results back to me. It just took me forever to send it in I'm sure Art will gripe about it next time you come over btw, we are taking part another 240 @Art's this weekend if you wanna drop by </TD></TR></TABLE>

Yeah, I called them yesterday and they said they email the results right after they do their testings. Just ordered the "testing kit."

Art picked up another 240, eh? Hopefully with a little less rust? My old man's flying in tonight, so I have to chauffeur him around all weekend... I'll stop by if I have some time, though.
Old 07-14-2005, 12:31 PM

Default Re: (Dbl Ey!)

Hey fellas...yeah Paul, that 240 is CLEAN...thankfully, just need to swap to manual.

Dbl Ey!...we only changed oil cause we changed his pan to the baffled unit, for the next track event. I expect to see LOTS of silicone in that analysis...(RTV anyone?) Air filter was changed when the Motul went in as well, and that oil got BEATEN at the track...

Wish my car was as healthy

-Arthur (Its about time I made my first post)

Modified by Gilgamesh at 1:46 PM 7/14/2005
Old 07-14-2005, 07:13 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (Gilgamesh)

iron and lead looks excellent. theres a lot of zinc and phosphorus in the oil.

silicoln is high b/c k&n doesnt filter dirt (silica) as well as the stock air filter. switch to the stock filter for the street.
Old 07-14-2005, 09:25 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (ejprimo)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by ejprimo &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">iron and lead looks excellent. theres a lot of zinc and phosphorus in the oil.

silicoln is high b/c k&n doesnt filter dirt (silica) as well as the stock air filter. switch to the stock filter for the street.</TD></TR></TABLE>

I was hoping one of the true oil gurus would chime in Feedback is most appreciated.

I ran a KN oil filter, stock air filter.. I'm thinking when I changed my air filter some dirt got dumped down the tube..

Modified by FunctionMotoring at 5:24 PM 7/15/2005

Modified by FunctionMotoring at 5:25 PM 7/15/2005
Old 07-19-2005, 04:47 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Don't you dare forget to post the Redline analysis either It'll be interesting to compare the Motul/Redline oils back to back on the same powerplant. Mainly due to a handfull of Redline oil analysis' I've come upon that have left me indifferent with their oil.

BTW: kit just came in today, Mobil Synthetic 10w30 with 3100 miles is getting sent back, and the fresh Motul 300v should be arriving in the next few days.

Old 07-20-2005, 06:52 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (hybrider)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by hybrider &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">Don't you dare forget to post the Redline analysis either It'll be interesting to compare the Motul/Redline oils back to back on the same powerplant. Mainly due to a handfull of Redline oil analysis' I've come upon that have left me indifferent with their oil.

BTW: kit just came in today, Mobil Synthetic 10w30 with 3100 miles is getting sent back, and the fresh Motul 300v should be arriving in the next few days.

</TD></TR></TABLE>

I will for sure. One thing I'm concerned of though is the RTV we used when changing my oil pan, I'm worried some elements from that may show up. Anyone know what trace elements might show up from RTV?
Old 07-20-2005, 01:57 PM
Honda-Tech Member

http://checkerauto.inserts2onl...=4233

49 cent after rebate Chevron Supreme &gt; ***

I'm off to get another case tomorrow.

D, stop wasting money on Motul!