Notices
Suspension & Brakes Theory, alignment, spring rates....

Non-technical Review of Ksport Coilovers and LCA (EK)

Search this Thread

Old 08-06-2008, 09:08 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Re: (Targa250R)

To add to that.....it's not even about acceptable ranges for a given setting....it's about completely unacceptable cross-talk issues (changes in compression adjustments concommitantly changing rebound rates annd vise versa. It's also about selling **** that is "36-way adjustable"...there are two things to adjust compression and rebound...unless there are 34 more dimensions I'm unaware of.

Another serious issue to those that know anything aboput viable suspension is reproduceability. Take a K-shyte strut and adjust it to it's middle setting going from max to middle....get a specific curve on a shock dyno.....now go from full soft to middle....and get a totally different curve. What does that tell you? When you adjust your shocks to achieve some handling change...you have no idea what you adjusted to.

It's simple.....if you want suspension that gives you a hard-parker stance, and some jdm name that makes others go WOW....then buy junk. If you want something that does exactly what you want it to then DO YOUR RESEARCH and buy the approriate stuff for your setup.
Old 08-06-2008, 06:51 PM
Honda-Tech Member

how bout compare Ksport to Koni yellow with GC coilover??
Old 08-07-2008, 10:25 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (dyingwish)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by dyingwish &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">To add to that.....it's not even about acceptable ranges for a given setting....it's about completely unacceptable cross-talk issues (changes in compression adjustments concommitantly changing rebound rates and vise versa. It's also about selling **** that is "36-way adjustable"...there are two things to adjust compression and rebound...unless there are 34 more dimensions I'm unaware of.

Another serious issue to those that know anything about viable suspension is reproduceability. Take a K-shyte strut and adjust it to it's middle setting going from max to middle....get a specific curve on a shock dyno.....now go from full soft to middle....and get a totally different curve. What does that tell you? When you adjust your shocks to achieve some handling change...you have no idea what you adjusted to.

It's simple.....if you want suspension that gives you a hard-parker stance, and some jdm name that makes others go WOW....then buy junk. If you want something that does exactly what you want it to then DO YOUR RESEARCH and buy the approriate stuff for your setup.</TD></TR></TABLE>

your right in what you say

problem is that majority of people out there including myself don't have very good knowledge of suspension design and setup so very hard to choose correct set for your specific requirements

"you get what you pay for with coilovers" is so true but the high end stuff that you know will work such as moton, proflex, ohlins etc is out of 99% of peoples budget hence brands in this thread are bought by most

im gonna be on hunt for coilovers in near future but not looking forward to the research, guess im lucky in that have friends who's advice/info will be invaluable and ensure i get what meets my requirements and quality is good with my budget in my mind (compromises)
Old 08-07-2008, 12:56 PM
Honda-Tech Member

The ground control/koni setup is very competitive with Ksport price wise, but blows it out of the water quality wise...
Old 08-09-2008, 01:25 AM
Honda-Tech Member

bump for dyno!!
Old 08-09-2008, 11:03 AM
Future Texas Boy

Default Re: (vlude99)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by vlude99 &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">bump for dyno!!</TD></TR></TABLE>

somebody needs to pull one off their car and give it to me for a day so we can end this.
Old 08-09-2008, 11:52 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (vtecvoodoo)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by vtecvoodoo &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">

somebody needs to pull one off their car and give it to me for a day so we can end this.</TD></TR></TABLE>

yes, seriously!!! let me try to contact my friend. I'm not sure if he is still using ksports or not.
Old 08-10-2008, 11:40 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (vtecvoodoo)

YGPM
Old 09-10-2008, 05:51 PM
DXR
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (Doctor X)

Bump for dyno, i suppose. I just got some for my DA... installing them on Friday. I had GC/koni on my other car, so I can't afford it again! Got the Ksports locally for a fair price. I'm not doing any hardcore racing or anything, I just wanted a fairly stiff ride (i like it rough oh yaa) and a bit of adjustability as well. Seems like this is never ending. I'm prepared to see if they blow on me right after the warranty period ends.

but I'm trying to be optimistic.
Old 09-11-2008, 07:00 AM
DXR
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (DXR)

Someone dyno'd them... supposedly it's crapp...

http://www.msprotege.com/forum...66252
Old 09-11-2008, 10:33 AM
DXR
Honda-Tech Member

MOAR

Ksport Fronts on Max Setting

K-Sport (front) on Min Settings

K-Sport Rear on Max Settings

K-Sport Rear on Min Settings

Any suspension gurus out there wanna comment on these dynos???

Modified by DXR at 7:39 PM 9/11/2008
Old 09-11-2008, 11:10 AM
Honda-Tech Member

looks like the settings don't do jack!
Old 09-11-2008, 11:28 AM

i have this setup on my eg hatch...

i bought them for the sole purpose of being my track/daily suspension... not a bad ride and the price is pretty good.
Old 09-11-2008, 11:32 AM
DXR
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (j_vision)

Did you get it new? How long have you had it. I'm IMing u right now. LoL, i'm putting these in later today
Old 09-11-2008, 12:07 PM
be professional

Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts

If those charts are legit, they're pretty awful from an idealist perspective.

Pretty much what I expected; most of the CloneDampers™ are very linear and dont build enough force at low speeds. Overlaying the max and min setting graphs in Photoshop helps for comparison; I'd like to see more detailed graphs of the 0-5 in/s range.

Would be nice if someone dyno tested the Civic valving.
Old 09-11-2008, 12:26 PM
DXR
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (Targa250R)

ya, it's good to hear an input from someone who knows what they're talking about. Mine are already ordered and here so... I'll try my best to keep tabs on it and try to see how well they are in long term usage from a street-only perspective, since people who are on a budget who buy these will mainly use it for the street anyway. Wish me luck

PS, targa, do u have any more thoughts/opinions on the graphs other than the fact that it looks bad? Some technical input from you would be great, such as what they should look like, why it is bad, what kind of things would cause this (valving/build/design). Any input from you is greatly appreciated. thanks!
Old 09-12-2008, 11:20 PM
Honda-Tech Member

i figured id give my input

i have had these for over 1 1/2 years (del sol) and my friend has had his for almost a year. both daily drive in New England , very bad roads. i even drove through a winter here, with snow and salt covering them for 5 months. neither one of use has had any sort of issue. i can say there are a much more solid ride than any tokico/spring combo (thats all i really have to compare it to). and when i bought mine they where well under $600

seeing the dynos, it now makes sense why i cant feel a difference when a adjusting them
even not being adjustable, for the price i payed, they way the ride, and still having all that shock travel (because of the way they adjust) I LOVE THEM
Old 09-15-2008, 08:39 AM
DXR
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (ian_b16)

Good review... well that's good to know that you've had yours since around early 2007-ish. I just put mine in on thursday and i've put about 300 miles on them so far (I drive quite a bit). Mine were slightly used and the guy that i bought them from had bought them brand new earlier this year.

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by Chee_dog &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">how bout compare Ksport to Koni yellow with GC coilover??</TD></TR></TABLE>

I was on Koni/GC before and I hated the adjustable perches on it mainly because I hated that my circlips kept breaking off and I'd have to fix it every other month. I also didn't like the ride, it was too stiff and too harsh (205/50/16 tires - shocks set to medium stiffness). The ride feels much better and i'm on 205/45/16 (thinner). I don't know what all contributes to that, but as far as initial ride, I like it a lot better than the koni/GC combo that I had before. I was on that for about 2 years before going to the KSports.

I haven't tried adjusting mine, because when I started rolling it out down the street to adjust the dampening, it felt perfect and i didn't want to ruin it.

and you're right, I love the build quality, the adjustment style (preload adjustment, height adjustment and shock travel is all independent) and the color (lol)!!!

I keep some pretty close tabs on my mileage and how many miles accumulates on my parts, so i'll have a long term update... well... a long time from now.

For now... pix...

Threads left on front:

Threads left on rear:

The drop:

After Hurricane Ike:

Old 09-15-2008, 09:13 AM
Honda-Tech Member

FWIW, I'll give some of my personal input on these coilovers.

I bought/installed my KSports on my 96 Integra SE sedan back in like December 2005/January2006 and have had them on since then. That was also back when KSports didn't have the greatest reputation in terms of reliability and they had only been selling in the States for a couple of years.

At the time, I loved how it rode and how well it handled (did well at some Autocrosses I went to), and I still don't regret getting them. I will by no means swear by them and try to get everyone to buy them, but for most people who put them on their daily drivers and who don't track their cars, they are a good, affordable solution that offers them a good range of height adjustability without affecting suspension travel (a lot of much more expensive setups don't even do this) as well as some stiff springs to help keep the car off the ground when it's lowered a lot.

Yes, the dampers (they're not dampeners guys...they don't make everything wet...) are not the greatest, but honestly, nobody who gets these coilovers should by any means expect the best. They do what they're meant to do well: they ride acceptably (by most standards), they lower the car, they usually have pretty stiff springs for the application, and they keep the car pretty flat through corners. They're not meant to be competition-level coilovers; they're not meant to trounce more expensive suspension setups in every respect for less money; they're not meant to last longer than the car; and they're not meant to track perfectly over bumps. So people expecting any of this are just silly to do so.

As for reliability, the KSport dampers have gone through numerous revisions between when I bought mine and now, including a fluid change and upgraded seals (from what I've heard). Both of my rears leaked after I had owned the coilovers for about 13-14 months, but to date my fronts (and the replacement rears) are totally fine, and I've driven on the coilovers for well over 30,000 miles.

Looking at some of those shock dynos, they kind of make sense...there's a lot of rebound stiffness at all levels of adjustability, and you can feel it. Targa250R, I can definitely see what you said about not building enough force at low speeds. It seems as though the suspension recovers better from shorter, more abrupt bumps than it does from smoother, more gradual bumps.

As soon as I have the money, I'm going to SPSS3s and GC coils...
Old 10-05-2008, 06:12 AM

So are you telling me that the ksport coilover kit is worth getting for my em2? I'm trying to do some research before I invest in something that "valuable". I'm going to be using them mostly on the streets. -im a noob btw, in case you can't tell..

edit : obviously you can tell by my avatar. lOl
Old 10-06-2008, 10:16 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Alright so can I get cliff notes on the shock dynos, call me a noob or whatever but I don't know how to read them. I just want to know if it makes a difference in changing the settings.

BTW, I have the threaded piece as low as it will go into the lower mount (rear, 90 CRX) and I still have a .5" gap; although there is still more thread it's not like it keeps on going into the lower mount. Any tips on getting it lower?
Old 10-09-2008, 09:31 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (KevinT707)

Just to get things straight...you're adjusting the bottom mount right? Not the lower spring perch? If the bottom mount is screwed in/up as much as possible, then that's as low as you can go.
Old 10-11-2008, 09:18 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (KaBlookie)

Yessir, I'm adjusting the bottom mount and NOT the perches. It won't go down any further so I guess that's it then
Old 10-13-2008, 11:51 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (KevinT707)

Had these for over a year on my EM1 and the ride is awesome. The quality of them look very nice. How much are they going for now? I got them for well under $600 from tunerzimage. My brother in-law recently picked up some Function & Form Type 1 coilovers and they are pretty similar in structure.