Notices
Honda Prelude All Model Preludes

Seafoam = Amazing

Search this Thread

Old 04-16-2005, 02:50 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Seafoam = Amazing

After reading many threads in the teg and eg/ek forums about how well Seafoam works, I thought I would give it a try in my lude. It worked WONDERS. NO JOKE.

I used it in a 4th gen Si, ~117k miles.

Before using Seafoam, I had a slight hesitation right after start-up in first gear, also, something clicked in my engine that sounded like my valves. I had a valve job done about 2 weeks ago, and the clicking still didn't go away.

Not only did Seafoam cure the hesitation, but it also cured the clicking sound in my engine. The engine runs quieter(Spelling?) than ever before, this stuff is magical

Heres how I did it in my lude: Bought Seafoam at autozone for $4.99

1. Let car run at idle for about 10 min.

2. Disconnected brake booster line, and made a funnel out of some thin cardboard.
(The engine idled sparatically up and down after disconnecting the b.b. line, I had a friend sit in the drivers seat and keep the revs at about 2k while I poured the seafoam into the line.)

3. Slowly pour 1/3 of the bottle into the brake booster line, don't pour too fast or the engine will sputter and die.

4. Turn off car and let it sit for about 10 min. The longer you let the car sit, the longer the Seafoam has to do its work dissolving the carbon build-up.

5. While the car is sitting for 10 min, pour another 1/3 of the bottle into the crankcase, and the other into the gas tank.

6.Once 10 min. is up, start the car, and enjoy the huge cloud of smoke as neighbors look at you like WTF???

7.Take the car out for a drive, and beat the hell out of it, lots of redlining action This helps clear out the carbon build-up.

8. I read that it was a good idea to change your oil afterwards, but I haven't done so yet, I will tomorrow.

9. Also, Seafoam has a tendency to foul out spark plugs. I checked mine and they were all fine, but you might want to check yours.

I can post pics of how I did this to my lude if anyone wants, I'm just lazy right now.

I HIGHLY recommend this product to anyone with a lot of miles on their engine.

Modified by hoehouseworker at 10:39 PM 4/16/2005
Old 04-16-2005, 03:23 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Seafoam = Amazing (hoehouseworker)

people say mixed things about it, I ran it through my old civic dx and it was night and day difference, I put half a bottle through the vaccum system, then I ran 1/3 through the gas tank, changed the spark plugs and ran a 1/3 into the crank case for 5 miles, and changed the oil. It was like a new car afterwards, no ****.. Everyone says it can cause issues, but after running it, my compression was good, didn't notice any leaks, nothing abnormal, just no studder at idle, no hesitation, no smoking, no nothing.

I haven't ran it through my lude, but once it gets some more miles on it I most likely will give it a shot.

You can hate if you want, but I have seen it work with no negative effects, again your results may vary.
Old 04-16-2005, 03:23 PM

I bought some Seafoam for my Si with around 105K miles, but haven't used it yet. Can you post some pics if you have time? Also, is it really ok to put it in the gas tank?
Old 04-16-2005, 03:54 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (Ziggymidget5)

wut do u want pics of?
Old 04-16-2005, 04:03 PM

Well he said that he could post some pics if anyone wanted too, so I just kinda thought like the locations of where he put it and such.
Old 04-16-2005, 07:41 PM

Default Re: (Ziggymidget5)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by Ziggymidget5 &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote"> Can you post some pics if you have time? Also, is it really ok to put it in the gas tank?</TD></TR></TABLE>

Updated w/ pics

it is fine to put it in the gas tank, it even says so on the can. Its just like adding a fuel injector cleaner to your gas tank.
Old 04-16-2005, 08:12 PM

Default Re: (hoehouseworker)

After I get my overheating problem fixed, I'll be running another bottle through my car

It can, however, cause problems on cars where the carbon build-up was holding leaks together. Other than that, I love seafoam!
Old 04-16-2005, 08:12 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Location: united states of mexico and yes ladies i am, available

yes i work at advance auto and i get this stuff all the time some times for free i put it in everything we own if you have a automatic they even have one for that its kept a crapy dodge tranny from goin out but not my old ss tranny lol but hey it cant save everything
Old 04-16-2005, 09:20 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (raylude)

u think 131 k on h22a1 prelude vtec is fine?

i gotta try it

Old 04-16-2005, 09:25 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (DarkBB4)

Dark.

I wouldn't put it in your crank case, but vacuum and gas tank should be fine
Old 04-16-2005, 10:09 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (dmxsoulja3)

dont forget the deep creep i use it to spary in the thotlebody and other places you cant pour into

Old 04-16-2005, 11:16 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

where is the crank case?
Old 04-16-2005, 11:18 PM

Thanks for the pics, but how exactly do you go about pouring it into the crank case? Good writeup by the way.
Old 04-17-2005, 12:34 AM

Default Re: (lv6l)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by lv6l &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">where is the crank case?</TD></TR></TABLE>

Lol, its where you pour your oil in.

I should have just said "pour into engine."

Old 04-17-2005, 05:10 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

I bought some too. I am worried about the longterm affects of it. I am worried that it will dry out the seals/rings over time.

I am going to try it on my other car though. My plans are to replace the engine anyway. I would like to clean out the fuel system before I do the swap. The engine is running horribly too. Hopefully, this will fix it for the time being.

Why pour it into the brake booster?? Will that affect the engine's performance?

Old 04-17-2005, 06:02 AM

Default Re: (AndyD)

because the brake booster is a vacuum line it will "suck" the sea foam into your manifold. the booster is a very large line as far as vaccum lines are concerned and this is probably why he decided to use it. Personally I like to use Wynns or 3M products, they have top end cleaners that work very well. I like to attach them to to front of the intake manifod near the Throttle Body, I have found this is where I get the best results.
Old 04-17-2005, 10:36 AM

Default Re: (AndyD)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by AndyD &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote"> Why pour it into the brake booster?? Will that affect the engine's performance?</TD></TR></TABLE>

Yeah, I poured it into the b.b. line because it is one of the largest vaccum lines and I could make a funnel for it easily. I didn't want to have to worry about trying to pour the Seafoam into a small hose and make a big mess.
Old 04-17-2005, 05:02 PM
Honda-Tech Member

You also might want to change your oil after you do all of this.
Old 04-17-2005, 05:51 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (Fly1865)

yeah i use it as a motor flush
Old 04-17-2005, 06:19 PM
Honda-Tech Member

I bought the deep creep by accident, friend of mine said he just used it on the TB and it smoothed out idle, smoked a lot and seems to run with a bit more oopmth and more throttle response.

I'm going to spray this into my BB just for kix and as well saturate my TB and IM with it, let it sit some and take her for a spin .. I'll let you know my results.

thx for posting up the BB pic, always wondered exactly if this was it or not ...
Old 04-17-2005, 08:15 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Re: (yohan)

Take pictures of the car smoking.
Old 04-17-2005, 08:41 PM

Default Re: (PrecisionH23a)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by PrecisionH23a &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">Take pictures of the car smoking.</TD></TR></TABLE>

Well I've already completed the process so therefore I can't take pictures of it.

I saw pictures in the teg forum of cars that smoked tremendously, but mine actually didn't smoke as much as I thought it would since I have 117k miles ....oh well
Old 04-17-2005, 08:47 PM

dont some people say its carbon that keeps seals or stuff from leaking for older cars? and when you use seafoam it gets rid of the carbon and causes leaks and problems?

Old 04-17-2005, 08:56 PM

Default Re: (andeh22)

Yeah I've heard about that happening on really old cars, but mostly old domestic V8's and stuff, I have 117k miles and mine didn't have any leaks after seafoaming
Old 04-18-2005, 10:06 AM

brake booster line located @ same location as that 4th gen SI in the pic for 5th gen ludes?

I heard nothing but good stuff about seafoam.

Quick Reply: Seafoam = Amazing