Notices
Honda Civic / Del Sol (1992 - 2000) EG/EH/EJ/EK/EM1 Discussion

pros and cons of a stripped down civic

Search this Thread

Old 04-02-2011, 07:05 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default pros and cons of a stripped down civic

I just joined today and last week I traded a Gen1 b16 from a ef9 for a 98 civic si. I'm in Canada so its like an EX. Anyway my plan is to swap to a gsr motor and add spray. Another part of my plan is to strip the car of any unnecessary items including the entire interior. My question is, will I regret this or is the weight savings worth it? Anyone on here ever stripped their car and then gone back to full interior? And for what reason?
Old 04-02-2011, 07:42 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Re: pros and cons of a stripped down civic

Well.. If you want to remove your back seats, then you better only have 1 girl friend and no kids. Sound dampening is nice. Even with sounds dampening I have trouble hearing my sound system on the free way. In other words expect a very noisy ride. If you ditch the spare tire, either have AAA or never ever get a flat. If you get lighter seats they may not be as comfortable. If you Ditch AC and PS then you can expect to have sweat rolling down your *** in the summer, but you will have 1 or 2 HP more, and it will suck turning the steering wheel when the car is traveling between 0 - 5 mph...

But you will knock off about 60-80 lbs or so pounds. Which will give you a fraction of a second in a 1/4 mile race. Your car will also feel a little more responsive in corners. But you will need to add weight back to the car to accomplish that (tie bars, sway bars, roll cage, H-brace)
Old 04-02-2011, 07:52 PM
Honda-Tech Member

My EG is stripped but i dont mind it really. Its a cx so its got practiclly nothin stock anyway lol no ac and no power steering so i wasnt losing much by stripping it. unless i can find something ballin like a clean *** Si interior i'll just stick with the stripped hatch. Plus its my life and my project....same thing lol so i have fun with it. All i need is my dash, door panels, head liner, and my two Sparco's. I''m happy with it
Old 04-02-2011, 08:06 PM
Honda-Tech Member

I've had several Hondas with stripped interiors and several with full interiors. It all just boils down to what you're gonna be using the car for. I've NEVER taken out a radio, but for a dedicated track car, who needs it? I'll tell you one thing I learned the hard way though, no matter what they say, a girl doesn't like a gutted car unless they're deep into the car scene too... If you do pull everything out, just keep it so you save yourself a scrapyard trip later on.
Old 04-02-2011, 08:13 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Hahaha true story about the girl part. My ex hated it but at the end of the night i still got laid so i cant complain lol I also COMPLETELY cleaned, polished, and waxed the gutted metal on the inside and the dash, seats, and door pannels are clean as hell so she gave me kudos for that
Old 04-03-2011, 06:28 AM
Honda-Tech Member

I agree with the girl part also... if I were doing it I would stick with the interior and just get rid of the AC and PS... u live in Canada who needs AC lol
Old 04-03-2011, 06:51 AM
Seagull Management

Received 24 Likes on 22 Posts

I'd keep the interior personally, there isn't much weight savings, and it's loud as hell inside, you'll hear every little rock hitting the underside of the car. A/C and P/S (A/C especially, unless you actually have it turned on) put so little load on the engine its really not worth removing them.

Originally Posted by eghatchinwv
u live in Canada who needs AC lol
It gets hot here too. Like 35° Celsius = 95° Fahrenheit. Plus there's high humidity so it feels even worse.

Last edited by 94EG8; 04-03-2011 at 12:40 PM.
Old 04-03-2011, 07:11 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

if it's not a race car just keep it intact, it will be easier to sell down the road with ac and ps. The benefits of stripping it are far out weighed by the benefits of keeping it stock.
Old 04-03-2011, 08:40 AM
Honda-Tech Member

If its a track car your planning on using every once in a while for weekends, go for it. If this is your daily driver and your hoping to take girls out on dates, I suggest keeping the interior. The weight:looks ratio is definitely towards look in this situation.
Old 04-03-2011, 11:23 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by Pancho2193
If its a track car your planning on using every once in a while for weekends, go for it. If this is your daily driver and your hoping to take girls out on dates, I suggest keeping the interior. The weight:looks ratio is definitely towards look in this situation.
I agree. Also, these car's weight is already heavily biased towards the front of the car. Gutting your rear interior and trunk just enhance this bias and probably takes away any handling benefits the 30-40 pounds of savings would get you. Just hit the gym and lose some weight haha...
Old 04-03-2011, 01:38 PM
Honda-Tech Member

^ haha yeah, i always want to tell the fatties that. my ek is partially gutted. took out the rear seats and the spare tire. the rear panels are still there but the amount of noise still increased significantly. has anyone here laid down dynamat throughout an entirely gutted ek? i'm sure it helps, but i hear it gets heavy very quickly.
Old 04-03-2011, 01:54 PM
Honda-Tech Member

On my gsr, I swapped out the front stock seats for lightweight Corbeaus, took out the carpet, back seats, spare tire, some interior panels, and swapped the exhaust out for a lighter weight system. Then I added harnesses and a roll bar. The car now weighs 2474 pounds down from 2667 stock. And, I can't tell that it weighs less at all from the way it drives.
Old 04-03-2011, 02:31 PM
Honda-Tech Member

i just put power window's and locks in my 96 cx hatch . i don't think it got any slower then it already was .
Old 04-03-2011, 02:32 PM
Crazy Honda Guy

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

Unless it is a strict race car, stripping the interior is pointless.....loud, cold, rattles, ect
Old 04-03-2011, 03:52 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Thanks for all the advice guys, even on my first post this forum has been more helpful than any others I've been a member of. First I'm only 160lbs so don't think I could lose much and second I'm married and not concerned with impressing anybody but myself and I don't think my wife or one year old son will be joining me in my car for what I like to call quality time. I guess the reason I want to strip the car down is that I want to have a car that looks like a beater, its not in prime shape to begin with so I was trying to go for a bit of a rat rod look with flat colours and mismatch panels n such. I'm gonna save my money on appearance items and nice paint and try to make it as fast as possible on as little cash as possible. I might even rock some steelies just to play up the look!
Old 04-03-2011, 04:27 PM
Honda-Tech Member

h2b that thing then perfect sleeper
Old 04-03-2011, 04:29 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Con. Still slow as hell
Pro. Still slow as hell
Old 04-03-2011, 06:22 PM
Honda-Tech Member

No thanks to the H
Old 04-03-2011, 06:58 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

The H22 is 195hp stock. It's torquey and that's about the same power you'd get from a build b18c1, but for far less money.

Weight distribution isn't going to be that bad, it's like 60lbs more. relocating your battery, using stiffer springs would help.

And as for a gutted car, it kinda sucks. It's loud!
Old 04-03-2011, 07:23 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Its really just a matter of opinion. My Hatch is completely gutted and honestly it doesnt sound any louder then it already was and i even took out the sound deadening. Ive only had my car for a few months now and it came with this huge *** fart can on it. once i get a new exhaust my car will actually be quieter.
Old 04-03-2011, 07:35 PM
Honda-Tech Member

lets be real, if we were trying to get girls we wouldnt be driving civics. i was with a girl for 5 years, we broke up and I realized I was 24 and I couldnt take out or try to pick up chicks in my gutted small *** loud crx. bought a brand new x-runner, rocked that, got numbers from girls working going through drive throughs, buying groceries, anywhere lol. got back with the same girl a year later, now we are married, now I have a CRX again, also helps one to stay faithful
Old 04-03-2011, 08:21 PM
H-T White Ops

Received 18 Likes on 16 Posts

Originally Posted by GSaura
On my gsr, I swapped out the front stock seats for lightweight Corbeaus, took out the carpet, back seats, spare tire, some interior panels, and swapped the exhaust out for a lighter weight system. Then I added harnesses and a roll bar. The car now weighs 2474 pounds down from 2667 stock. And, I can't tell that it weighs less at all from the way it drives.
Did you actually weigh in before you stripped it or are you going off the spec you've read online?

I've seen before where the weight (even of a stock car) doesn't match with what you'll find online.

If it doesn't drive any differently, then what was the point in stripping the interior in the first place?
Originally Posted by Deetz
Unless it is a strict race car, stripping the interior is pointless.....loud, cold, rattles, ect
Agreed.

I think stripping the interior is often what people do when they're broken and just want to do *something* to their car.

I'm also female and been into Hondas for quite some time. I love Hondas, but stripped Hondas generally are still not comfortable. That piece of foam in the back of the car shouldn't slow the car down too much...
Old 04-03-2011, 08:27 PM
Honda-Tech Member

basically by removing things, you're trading in functionality/luxury for more a bit more speed/a bit less weight/and a little better mpg

i'm pretty sure someone stripped their civic and weighed each piece, then made a thread with the weights. couldn't find it tho, did find this however

Originally Posted by reaper2022
Rule of thumb:
For every 100lbs of excess weight removed from the chassis, that car's 1/4 mile time will decrease by 0.1 seconds.

Personally, the "extra" seats are the only things I'd pull on a DD (and that's still only around 60lbs that you save).
Old 04-03-2011, 08:30 PM
Honda-Tech Member

There isn't a whole lot of material to the interior of these cars. "Gutting" it won't lose you a ton of weight. Whatever weight you do lose, the difference it makes in acceleration will likely be barely noticeable, if at all... This isn't a full on race car where tenths/hundredths/thousandths of a second matter. I'd say keep the interior, enjoy a clean(er) looking ride and enjoy some piece and comfort while driving it.
Old 04-03-2011, 08:32 PM
Honda-Tech Member

found it

WEIGHT REDUCTION TUTORIAL

edit: my bad, that link is for an 04 civic

these may be helpful
http://6thgearadvertising.com/civic/...reduction.html
http://www.importtuner.com/features/...ips/index.html
http://www.superhonda.com/forum/f86/...r-tips-169006/

Quick Reply: pros and cons of a stripped down civic