Notices

turbo dohc zc

Search this Thread

Old 04-18-2010, 06:49 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default turbo dohc zc

i have an 89 dx hatch. the motor is dohc zc. i want to get the greddy turbo kit 92-95 civic. maybe run 5-8 psi. Trying to keep it simple-ish. Can I keep obd0? Do I need to buy anything else in addition to the kit? will any major tuning be necessary? I have a PG7 and a PM6 ecu, will those ebay chips that say they have the PM7 program work on the PM6 ecu as stated? Any help would be appreciated. I've looked around and most threads are pretty vague. Anybody have pictures?
Old 04-18-2010, 08:48 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: turbo dohc zc

Originally Posted by Ken99287
i have an 89 dx hatch. the motor is dohc zc. i want to get the greddy turbo kit 92-95 civic. maybe run 5-8 psi. Trying to keep it simple-ish. Can I keep obd0? Do I need to buy anything else in addition to the kit? will any major tuning be necessary? I have a PG7 and a PM6 ecu, will those ebay chips that say they have the PM7 program work on the PM6 ecu as stated? Any help would be appreciated. I've looked around and most threads are pretty vague. Anybody have pictures?
im not a pro but i did boost mine last year its was great but switching to obd1 is highly recemended trying to find a shop that chips ob0 for boost is a nightmare and yes u have to have it tuned if u want it to be reliable and run right.. and if u have the 4th gen jdm dohc zc it has high compression pistons so dont throw to much boost at it or u will blow the bottom end like me....
Old 04-18-2010, 08:51 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by tunerEF9
im not a pro but i did boost mine last year its was great but switching to obd1 is highly recemended trying to find a shop that chips ob0 for boost is a nightmare and yes u have to have it tuned if u want it to be reliable and run right.. and if u have the 4th gen jdm dohc zc it has high compression pistons so dont throw to much boost at it or u will blow the bottom end like me....
oh ya and im pretty sure the only 0bd0 ecu that is chippable is the pm6 i know the pg7 is not cause i tried. if u can find a good shop but it has to have a socket for the chip put in
Old 04-18-2010, 10:05 AM
Honda-Tech Member

im looking to boost mine as well come summer time, i have the pm7 ecu that was chipped from previous owner said it was a mugen chip not 100% sure on what the chip does aside from prob taking away rev limit??? lmk what you end up doing set up wise...>
Old 04-18-2010, 12:58 PM
Honda-Tech Member

I have the same setup you are talking about. DOHC ZC, Greddy Kit, DSM SMIC, Zdyne SECU, DSM 450cc injectors. If you stick with OBD0 then get a Zdyne ECU. I have been running about 7 pounds for 8+ years now and still going. You have to modigy the manifold a bit "shave off some" and dent in your cross member a little to make it clear. You will need a blow off valve also "doesnt come with kit"

Old 04-18-2010, 03:27 PM
Honda-Tech Member

wow! thats the cleanest DOHC ZC i have ever seen!!! props to you bro...>
Old 04-19-2010, 05:27 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by CWBETB
I have the same setup you are talking about. DOHC ZC, Greddy Kit, DSM SMIC, Zdyne SECU, DSM 450cc injectors. If you stick with OBD0 then get a Zdyne ECU. I have been running about 7 pounds for 8+ years now and still going. You have to modigy the manifold a bit "shave off some" and dent in your cross member a little to make it clear. You will need a blow off valve also "doesnt come with kit"

Cool, that's what I'm trying to do! but it doesn't necessarily have to be as clean. I just want a good running car with a little more pick-up. Mine's actually that same weird faded maroon color. Did the kit come with manifold and downpipe?

So basically, Greddy kit, intercooler, and zdyne ecu is enough for low boost and add injectors for higher boost applications?

I have rebuilt this motor. Every piece has been removed and resurfaced/replaced. All ARP bolts, studs, and nuts, new rings and bearings and seals, new oil pump, new water pump. Valves and seats were ground and fitted, stock cam, stock pistons and rods. I'm thinking of sending the rods off to get them..... "treated"? Here is the link to what I mean -

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eB...K%3AMEWAX%3AIT

what do you guys think? I was thinking of sending my rods to them for treatment. Are the stock ZC pistons strong enough to not need replaced?? Are performance cams worth the price? they just open the valves wider, right?

What are your thoughts on honing the cylinder? This motor had about 50k on it when I tore it down. Nothing obvious was wrong, I just wanted to start with a "fresh" motor. Hone or not to hone? What method?
Old 04-19-2010, 06:27 AM
Honda-Tech Member

by the way, do you have more pictures of that build? any other tips? advise? I could use all the help I can get!
Old 04-20-2010, 04:38 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Cool, that's what I'm trying to do! but it doesn't necessarily have to be as clean. I just want a good running car with a little more pick-up. Mine's actually that same weird faded maroon color. Did the kit come with manifold and downpipe?

So basically, Greddy kit, intercooler, and zdyne ecu is enough for low boost and add injectors for higher boost applications?

I have rebuilt this motor. Every piece has been removed and resurfaced/replaced. All ARP bolts, studs, and nuts, new rings and bearings and seals, new oil pump, new water pump. Valves and seats were ground and fitted, stock cam, stock pistons and rods. I'm thinking of sending the rods off to get them..... "treated"? Here is the link to what I mean -

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eB...K%3AMEWAX%3AIT

what do you guys think? I was thinking of sending my rods to them for treatment. Are the stock ZC pistons strong enough to not need replaced?? Are performance cams worth the price? they just open the valves wider, right?

What are your thoughts on honing the cylinder? This motor had about 50k on it when I tore it down. Nothing obvious was wrong, I just wanted to start with a "fresh" motor. Hone or not to hone? What method?
Kit comes with manifold and downpipe. For a while I was using a FPR that Greddy used to supply with the kit before they went to the blue box for engine management "not sure if blue box will work on ZC? "

I would say this, if you want to run under 8 pounds then I wouldn't mess with internals, anything above I would. HP wise your going to be a little below 200hp and ZC's are pretty strong up to 200. Anymore I would build it.

Greddy kit is great for the street, fast spool and no lag. Only problem is top end isnt to good. "it is a small turbo"
Old 10-12-2011, 10:07 AM
Honda-Tech Member

i have a 88 civic ef hatch with the same zc as yall. im trying to get more pull, in higher gears and in the dig. imi aiming for 2-250 in hp. is there a bigger turbo set up then the mentioned greddy kit?
Old 10-12-2011, 10:16 AM
Keyboard Humorist

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by tailoredtune
i have a 88 civic ef hatch with the same zc as yall. im trying to get more pull, in higher gears and in the dig. imi aiming for 2-250 in hp. is there a bigger turbo set up then the mentioned greddy kit?
Should be interesting to see if you get any replies.
Not only are you hi-jacking the thread (why not go start your own thread to get replies for your personal question?), but his thread has been dead since APRIL of last year..
congrats on resurrecting it from the dead!
Old 10-12-2011, 01:10 PM
DO IT ON ALL FOURS

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

Here is a reply - well since you are aiming for 2 to 250 horsepower - you already achieved your goal!!!
Old 10-13-2011, 12:32 AM
Honda-Tech Member

not to mention if you can't achieve 250 hp with pretty much any turbo kit your motor just sucks or you do one