Engine Management and Tuning Crome, NepTune, Hondata, AEM, MOTEC

NGK wideband NTK vs Bosch sensor

Search this Thread

Old 02-24-2010, 05:01 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default NGK wideband NTK vs Bosch sensor

Hi Guys,

I've got a NGK wideband with the bosch sensor but I'm thinking about upgrading it with the NTK sensor. Do you think that it will be worth it?

What are you experiences on the NGK wideband with a bosch sensor vs the NTK sensor.
Old 03-04-2010, 04:57 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: NGK wideband NTK vs Bosch sensor

here's the closest experience i've had.

i've used techedge(australia) wideband, it uses the oem honda ntk 5 wire wideband that some eg hatches used.

that sensor read into the 8's rich, and into the 30s lean, SUPER accurate.

my AEM uego that uses a Bosch, reads between 10:1 and 17:1, and doesnt update as fast, its slower.
Old 03-04-2010, 05:53 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by darrinbrewer

my AEM uego that uses a Bosch, reads between 10:1 and 17:1, and doesnt update as fast, its slower.
You're comparing two different widebands, not sensors. The AEM's are delayed in their readings, its not the sensors fault at all.
Old 03-05-2010, 07:49 AM
FSAE

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I run the FJO Gen2 with NTK L2H2 sensor. The voltage output is from 0-3.8v, which is nice since you do not need to modify the ECU to run WB input through D14. It seems to be a fast responding sensor, more than the Innovate products.

The only downside is price. The L2H2 is ~$200-250 new, and hard to find in junkyards.
Old 03-05-2010, 10:27 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 67 Likes on 67 Posts

So what do you think would happen if I were to hardwire the LC-1 controller with this superior L2H2 sensor? We are still pitting sensor vs sensor right? Can you program the NGK controller to use the L2H2 sensor?

Don't bash Innovates controller vs a different WBO2 sensor. I'm pretty sure I could hard wire my innovate controller to work with the L2H2 sensor.

If you are saying that the L2H2 is a faster responding WBO2 I won't disagree. If you can produce the osiliscope readings that show the variances.

I can produce an osiliscope from a $1000 gas sensor that is used for science that would blow them both away. We are talking sensors that have to stand up to every day use here. Why would I pay $300 for a sensor when I can get the same acuracy with a sensor for 1/2 the price?

I like the adversity of the Innovate Controller myself. I know that I could spend $1000 on a WB sensor to make it work better. IMO, the bosch works good enough for it's price and what it's used for.

Last edited by GhostAccord; 03-05-2010 at 10:56 PM.
Old 03-08-2010, 08:17 AM
FSAE

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by GhostAccord
I'm pretty sure I could hard wire my innovate controller to work with the L2H2 sensor.
You can't with current Innovate firmware.

The NTK L1H1/L2H2 uses a twin-pump (plus a catalyst system) to measure oxygen content. In short, the NTK sensor contains a narrow band (nernst cell) and wideband sensor (diffusion cell) in one unit.

We have 2 extra L2H2 sensors and wanted to use them with our Innovate LMA-3 AuxBox since the L2H2's last much longer using leaded fuels. Innovate told us (~summer 2008) that the firmware on Innovate controllers do not support the dual pump NTK arrangement, and they had no plans anytime soon to update. This may have changed since that time. We found a first-gen FJO to use on leaded fuels and haven’t looked into it since.

Originally Posted by GhostAccord
Don't bash Innovates controller
I have the right to 'bash' Innovate products if I have reason to. Innovate uses sh*tty stereo style connectors and has poor circuitry construction. We've had to RMA our Innovate LMA-3 AuxBox four times because of internal circuitry failures, and one time due to stereo connector failure, each time it costs us to ship their faulty product plus the downtime. I've also had two friends that had to RMA LC-1's with stereo-connector failures.

Does that mean that all Innovate products are bad? No, of course not. However the limited exposure I have to their products has convinced me to recommend other manufacturers to anyone who asks.

I use both the Bosch and NTK sensors regularly. From MY experience, the NTK (and FJO controller) are superior in terms of accuracy and response, plus the benefit of reading up to 30:1 on unleaded fuels, when compared with a LSU Bosch sensor. No one needs to agree or be satisfied with my assessment, just sharing my experiences.
Old 03-08-2010, 11:19 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 67 Likes on 67 Posts

Your personal experiences are much appreciated!
Old 12-30-2016, 04:45 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default NGK wideband NTK vs Bosch sensor

Hi ALL, Clouse used a "free Air" calibration method.

He just "tosses" the OEM calibration resistor.

Lance