Notices

car charges @ 12.8v

Search this Thread

Old 03-13-2008, 10:08 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default car charges @ 12.8v

ok i have a new alt. ''high amp'' and @ idel its 14.5 and when i put the lights on and high beams it goes to 12.8, is the ELD not seeing the load or is that ok and i shouldent worry about it?
Old 03-14-2008, 10:56 AM
Honda-Tech Member

how do you bypass the ELD, can you bypass it?
Old 03-14-2008, 11:55 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 43 Likes on 21 Posts
Default Re: (vw eater)

I don't think the CRX/EF Civic have an ELD, so you might be referring to the voltage regulator within the alternator. Anyway, I also think that 12.8V under high electrical load is fine.
Old 03-14-2008, 02:02 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (RonJ@HT)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by RonJ@HT &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">I don't think the CRX/EF Civic have an ELD, so you might be referring to the voltage regulator within the alternator. Anyway, I also think that 12.8V under high electrical load is fine.</TD></TR></TABLE>
Old 03-14-2008, 02:35 PM
Honda-Tech Member

i have a eld, and i did these test and it came up that i failed the first test, and i looked up on the wiring diagram and it says the black/yello goes to the egr...?i have the b16a in there so iam woundering if thats my problem. where would that wire be? also do i check ground by back probing the black to any groud on the car?

hers the test i did

http://autorepair.about.com/li...b.htm
Old 03-14-2008, 02:37 PM
Honda-Tech Member

The code 20 indicates there is a problem in the Electric Load Detector Circuit. What this circuit does is monitor the loads placed on the engine by the alternator, A/C and headlights, among others. When an additional load is detected, the PCM raises the idle speed to compensate. The PCM has detected a fault in the system and turned the light on.

Here's how to test the system:

Remove cover from main fuse panel located in engine compartment, then disconnect electrical connector from electric load detector unit.

With ignition switch On, check for battery voltage between electrical connector positive (black/yellow wire) terminal and negative (black) terminal.

If battery voltage is present, proceed to step 4. If no voltage is present, check for the following:

Check for blown No. 14 fuse in instrument panel fuse box.

Check for open circuit in black/yellow wire between instrument panel fuse box and main fuse panel in engine compartment.

Check for improper ground (black wire) connection.

With ignition switch On, check voltage between electric load detector electrical connector green/red terminal and ground. Voltage should be approximately 4.5 to 5 volts. If voltage is as specified, proceed to step 5. If voltage is not as specified, check green/red wire between electric load detector and PFI electronic control unit. If wiring is satisfactory, electronic control unit may be at fault.

Connect electrical connector to electric load detector unit.

With ignition switch in On position and headlamps on at low beam, check voltage at green/red wire terminal at electric load detector unit electrical connector. Check voltage with connector still installed on unit. Voltage should be approximately 2 volts. If voltage is as specified, electric load detector unit is satisfactory. If voltage is not as specified, engine compartment main fuse panel and electric load detector unit must be replaced as an assembly.

[IMG][/IMG]
Old 03-14-2008, 03:18 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 43 Likes on 21 Posts

Based on information available to me, which certainly is not comprehensive, the ELD was not implemented until the 5th generation Civics. In addition, my understanding of the ELD is that it does not function to regulate system voltage but rather to save energy by turning the alternator OFF when it is not needed.
Old 03-14-2008, 05:24 PM
Honda-Tech Member

my 91 crx si has a eld its like the one in the pic, under the hood on the pass side strut,should i worry if its charging @12.8?i have a big stereo system and all that so thats why i did the alt. swap.is it possible that its not needing to be charging so its not?
Old 03-14-2008, 06:02 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

can you exchange your alternator?
they often test good in the store but fail on the car.

my understanding is that the voltage regulator(built into the alternator) is the only thing controlling the output of the alternator. And I believe The ELD just bumps up your idle to adjust for more electical load.

Old 03-14-2008, 06:59 PM
Honda-Tech Member

i will try, but i wana figure out the eld, i did the first test and failed it, so how do i check the ground?the black wire the the body of the crx?and where does the black/yello go?

''Check for open circuit in black/yellow wire between instrument panel fuse box and main fuse panel in engine compartment''
Old 03-15-2008, 09:30 AM
Honda-Tech Member

i found this last night while searching for more info on this problem, i dont know how to post this on here so heres the link, tell me what you think

http://www.pprok.com/pi0036.pdf